login

Author Topic: Stella pensions  (Read 10984 times)

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Stella pensions
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 03:18:23 PM »
The BA situation is puzzling as they are not known for being the instigators of lower prices, in fact the reverse having been led by the low cost airlines for at least 10 years.

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=5325\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The prices may be low compared with Charter flights but are probably not all that low compared with lowcost airlines like Ryanair or Easyjet IF indeed they did that sort of journey.

I have often thought that the Charter flight prices were a ripoff when I discovered that on occasions a flight only on say First Choice cost the same as a package holiday using that same flight.

John R

Offline Regulars since 1992

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
Stella pensions
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 03:35:40 PM »
Having travelled widely for the last 25 years we've rarely used BA as they've never been known for their low pricing.  However, let's enjoy what they've started offering re Heraklion whilstever it lasts and hope this year's May-Oct scheduling is repeated next year and with equally attractive pricing.

I note that the flights we purchased at £229 yesterday are being offered today at £279 (post end of Jan sale and Birthday offer), but they still represent very good value.  I also checked out this coming Whit week and discovered that price inflation around school holidays still exists on the Man-Her route.  Was quoted a mere £599 for the two of us.  Is there any wonder I can't wait for my good lady Sue to stop full-time teaching in July!!  Being able to go away outside school holidays will be a rare but oh so welcome treat.

John - spoke to Marcos yesterday and we're all sorted for our 10 nights in Oct.  Have done a bit of comparative checking on the car hire front, but think I'll leave it until nearer the time to book.  I'm sure there'll be far more supply than demand in early Oct, which may benefit pricing.  Will probably end up booking with Alianthos, Caravel or Holiday Autos.  

Already looking forward to seeing Stella and Yannis again and settling in for a relaxing break.  It's like visiting old friends.  Fingers crossed for some decent weather which we seem to have always had bar one particular year in the mid '90s.

Graham

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Stella pensions
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2006, 02:54:32 PM »
Having travelled widely for the last 25 years we've rarely used BA as they've never been known for their low pricing.  However, let's enjoy what they've started offering re Heraklion whilstever it lasts and hope this year's May-Oct scheduling is repeated next year and with equally attractive pricing.
I did  a quick comparison for early May with what we are paying for Kostas Chrysoulla with Olympic. BA was ca. £140 return pp (Gatwick), I reckoned 2 X £50 for the taxi transfer (last year it was €75 each way), and allowed €20 per night for accommodation (i.e. ca. £200 for the 2 weeks). Total £580. This is about 10% more than we are paying and is the closest that "independent" comes to "package" that I have seen for low season. Not quite a fair comparison I know as the BA is probably a slightly up market flight and you would get a quicker (but not necessarily safer) transfer.

If you were hiring a car anyway for the 2 weeks it would be cheaper.

Mike

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Stella pensions
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2006, 03:51:40 PM »
If you were hiring a car anyway for the 2 weeks it would be cheaper.

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=5333\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There is no question about it - the transfer costs are the killer in any discussion about independent versus package costs. We had a long discussion with Marcos of Stella last year about the possibility of him providing free or cheap transfers for his guests - which would be a very good marketing ploy for him. Marcos needs a lot of thinking time !!

However as you say above if you hire a car anyway - as we do - the transfers are "free" and the independent costs now win outright.

John R

Offline Regulars since 1992

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Stella pensions
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2006, 05:38:59 PM »
Hi Mike and John,

An interesting comparison, Mike, and fine if you're happy to stay in accomodation still offered in Plakias by the package operators still active there and if you only want trfs to and from Heraklion and no car hire whilst there.  With us specifically wanting to stay at Stella's again, a flight only option was what we needed, as with John, and BA's £114.50 per person return from Manchester all inclusive in early Oct still seems a good buy to me.  Way better than charter prices I sourced for the same (agreed, John, that flight only charter prices are often excessive compared to the discount airlines) and even more so than other scheduled airline prices I checked out routing via Athens.  

Graham

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Stella pensions
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2006, 10:15:23 AM »
Hi Mike and John,

An interesting comparison, Mike, and fine if you're happy to stay in accomodation still offered in Plakias by the package operators still active there and if you only want trfs to and from Heraklion and no car hire whilst there. 
Yes Graham, I agree that the accommodation is limited from the package tour operators. Having said that we would be equally happy with any comparable accommodation I think.

Of course it is much more than a simple price comparison; the paramount concern is to have an wonderful holiday and compared to many of the pursuits we in the UK spend money on, Mediterranean holidays are cheap.

When we do feel the need for a car it will probably be for, say, 4-6 days out of the 14 (or 21), but in the middle of the holiday, not at start and end to accommodate the transfers. Also, on arrival I don't want to be negotiating a price for a taxi immediately on arrival and then have the wits frightened out of me by his reckless driving!

John, if an enterprising Plakian could arrange something along the lines you suggest re. transfers it would be brilliant and would tip the balance for many. However, I can foresee logistical problems.

Mike

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Stella pensions
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2006, 06:01:45 PM »
For transfers you could, of course, use the bus, a dirt-cheap but long-winded option.
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Stella pensions
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2006, 12:48:32 PM »
For transfers you could, of course, use the bus, a dirt-cheap but long-winded option.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=5568\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
True, but as likely as us choosing a tent as our accommodation. The words "slumming it" spring to mind.

Mike

Offline sheryl

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sherylhume1
    • View Profile
    • Email
Stella pensions
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2006, 09:42:52 PM »
olympic has just changed our flight times for july - seem to remember them changing three times last year before they got it right....here we go again
sheryl

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Stella pensions
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2006, 11:33:59 PM »
True, but as likely as us choosing a tent as our accommodation. The words "slumming it" spring to mind.

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=5570\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
 But actually the buses are in fact comfortable, air-conditioned coaches.  I've used them both times I've been to Plakias, even though I fly out there in business class.  
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος