login

Author Topic: I don't want to go  (Read 4268 times)

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
I don't want to go
« on: August 29, 2003, 12:05:53 PM »
Yep, never thought i'd say it but I don't want to go. No its not some peverse desire for grey skies and rain, rather that i'm scared rigid of flying. Why can't someone invent a transporter like in Star Trek, that would be great plus of course it would cut out that damn transfer!

So think of me when I thunder down that runway in 9 and a half hours time fuelled up on my double whisky and Valium!

Anyone else here not too keen on this flying lark?

Offline Allan Barham

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
I don't want to go
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2003, 12:18:11 PM »
It might just help to remind yourself that the most dangerous part of any flight is driving to the airport!

Good luck and see you at the party on Friday.

Allan

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.compage.com
    • Email
I don't want to go
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2003, 12:20:19 PM »
Yes!  That would be good!  Beam me up Scottie!  

I'm not that keen on this kind of flying.  But it's the crowds and the eternal waiting that gets to me...  and the cramped seats...  and the dirty airports... and the crowds.  
John Page

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
I don't want to go
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2003, 12:34:22 PM »
Thanks Allan and welcome to a higher plane of existence (advanced member status)!

I know that the statistics are on my side but thats why its called a phobia because it is irrational. Someone told me once that yes fear of flying is irrational but on the other hand fear of crashing is entirely rational.. not sure that helped!

Yes I don't enjoy the waiting and the crowds but my post landing euphoria usually lasts me through half of it. Upon landing you could beat me with a wet kipper and i'd still be happy!

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
I don't want to go
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2003, 10:14:35 PM »
Well I made it! The plane didn't suddenly plummet to earth and all the stress and worry was worth it.

It is really hot here and the meltemi has been on and off, really windy today which took an edge of the heat but blew sand into every place imaginable!

In Ostraco at the moment having a pre going home beer after two very late nights (mornings!). Get more sleep at home  

Looking forward to the meal on Friday and I can confirm that it will be Ali joining us.

Kali Nichta (?) Know how to say it but spelling?

Offline Pritch

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
I don't want to go
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2003, 01:44:29 PM »
Spelling is fine Ploppy and glad you made it. Seems like the winds have been there since beginning of August when we went out - my back is just starting to heal from the sand-blasting it got - and yr right, it gets EVERYWHERE.
Wish we could be with you on Friday as reckon it will be a real blast, but enjoy.

Have to commend Kazantzakis Airport this year, as it took no time for our bags to come through, which is more than can be said for Stansted - 50 mins from getting off the plane - thats what I hate about travelling.....

Pritch

Offline RobM.

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - rmontier2002@yahoo.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • Email
I don't want to go
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2003, 01:05:36 PM »
I can't stand flying either - or heights - crikey, I put thick socks on and I get dizzy when I stand up! But it's safer than driving - did you know that in Turkey it's now compulsory to keep a body-bag in your car!  

Offline hopper

• View Profile
    • Email
I don't want to go
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2003, 07:00:52 AM »
Yes, just think of 3 days of driving as alternative, that makes these 3 hours quite bearable.
cheers Hopper

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
I don't want to go
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2003, 12:19:08 PM »
Can't say I like flying either - but it's the only way to get to Plakias and back in a reasonable time!

I can report that Ploppy wasn't shaking too muck by the time he reached town!

We had good trips both ways this time - even landed early at Gatwick. And I agree that the improvements at Heraklion airport make a difference.
John - Ostraco

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
I don't want to go
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2003, 05:05:53 PM »
Yes I had just downed my first Mythos before I saw John so the shakes had subsided!

Yes what with the new baggage reclaim at Heraklion it is much better. Also we didn't have to wait too long for tranfer to set off which made up for the delayed flight.

Coming back this morning was also quite good except the north-south transfer train jobby at Gatwick had only just started working again and there where large queues.

The flights themselves were pretty smooth and the valium did the trick, think its getting easier which is good as I dont want to deny myself another visit to Plakias.

All in all very good (Although I still hate that 4.20am flight back!)