Author Topic: cash in plakias  (Read 8035 times)

Offline jb712

• View Profile
    • Email
cash in plakias
« on: July 25, 2012, 03:17:39 PM »
Hi.  Im new to forum and arriving in Plakias soon and need some advise on how to get cash out in plakias.  Our friends always travel with the cash they need for the two weeks, but we tend to lose money and would prefer to load a travellers cheque card and withdraw as and when needed.  Is this possilble in Plakias?  Is there a bank?  We will also need to withdraw a large amount to pay for villa... Is there anyway we can do this without carrying cash to plakias?  Do the restaurants take debit cards or only cash also.  Many thanks

Offline Rogataber

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: cash in plakias
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 04:21:54 PM »
Hi, we were in Plakias three years ago and then there were no shortage of ATMs, I imagine this is still the case. So, simply draw cash from the ATM and pay for stuff with euros. However, be aware that most (all?) Greek ATMs restrict you to withdrawing no more than 300 euros a day so you might need to get your cash out by multiple daily visits.

Have a nice holiday!

Roger

Offline jb712

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 04:42:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply Roger :)

Offline jb712

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 06:06:38 PM »
Do most restaurants take debit cards or with the economy prefer cash?

Offline Bertie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 09:12:41 PM »
Yes. There are four ATMs in Plakias but you need to be aware that they are regularly out of use, individually and together. Don't leave drawing money for your villa until the end of your stay. When I was there last year all four ATMs were out of money at the same time and people were having to travel to Spilli to get cash to pay their hotel bills. Always keep a few days' money in your wallet.

Offline Bertie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 09:17:52 PM »
It seems to be very much a cash economy (no guesses why!!). I'm sure some of the tavernas take cards although I

It seems to be very much a cash economy (no guesses why!). I have used card payment in the shops.
I know some of the tavernas do take cards but I have only ever seen someone pay by card once. Cash is king.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 01:29:40 PM »
For the reasons above I wouldn't want to rely on the Plakias cash machines. Personally I buy € before I go from Asda, which has excellent rates, and take sterling plus cards as a backup. The exchange rates I have seen advertised occasionally in Plakias don't seem any better than at home and may charge commission.

As has been said, in tavernas cash is king and I can't actually recall anyone paying by card. If you do pay for anything by card (a Nationwide CC gives virtually the commercial exchange rate with no charges) make sure you pay in € as if they convert to £ the rate will be very much to their advantage.

Mike

Offline Hugo V

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 04:08:35 PM »
Hello,
We were in Plakias in June and did not have a big problem getting cash from the ATM machines.  Only over the weekends and after a Greek holiday you might encounter a problem.  You can use cards in more than half of the tavernas and in most of the souvenir shops (not in the bakeries and smaller supermarkets), but of course, they all prefer cash if they have a choice.
Hope this helps.  hugo

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 07:46:13 AM »
We always pay for our evening meal in Plakias, Sougia, Loutro & Paleohora with a credit card (Nationwide). We don't like carrying too much cash so tend to seek these places out but there is always plenty of choice.. Also for rooms if we are staying for more than two nights we pay with a credit card. One taverna which has been mentioned a couple of times, recently  The Gio-Ma have been taking cards since we have been eating there over some 14 years. Also the Nationwide exchange rate on the card is better than on  their debit card or taking Euros from the Post Office.

Stuart

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 11:00:45 AM »
http://www.bestforeignexchange.com/Exchange-rates-check-exchange-rates.php

A useful site for checking out exchange rates or if in London buying currency.

Stuart