Author Topic: Plakias to Paleohora  (Read 11939 times)

Offline Alex&fran G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/groundy
    • Email
Plakias to Paleohora
« on: February 18, 2007, 09:05:49 AM »
After some advice from members I have decided to spend a couple of days in Paleohora this year while staying at Plakias, Looking at the maps on the net it looks like I will have to drive to Chania first then to Paleohora, is this right? I suppose another option is the bus as I will be in no hurry, any advice? Regards Alex.
MAKE SURE YOUR MEMORIES ARE NEVER GREATER THAN YOUR DREAMS.

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
Plakias to Paleohora
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 10:45:59 AM »
Quote from: Alex&fran G
After some advice from members I have decided to spend a couple of days in Paleohora this year while staying at Plakias, Looking at the maps on the net it looks like I will have to drive to Chania first then to Paleohora, is this right? I suppose another option is the bus as I will be in no hurry, any advice? Regards Alex.

We used to bus from Plakias to Chora Sfakia and then catch the ferry to Sougia or Paleochora.
But the bus service from Plakias was stopped a couple of years ago (we now taxi).  The ferry trip is well worth doing ( the ferry stays close to the coast and provides spectacular views of the mountains) and it is a car ferry if you wish to take your car. Also the ferry journey can be broken at Loutro for one or two nights and also at Sougia. All though there are several ferries to Agia Roumeni during the day , just the one, mid afternoon goes all the way to Paleochora. You can however catch an earlier ferry & spend a few hours at say Loutro. I suppose you could always leave the car at Chora Skafia.

Stuart

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Plakias to Paleohora
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 04:50:32 PM »
I've got to agree with Stuart, it's a much more civilised and fun way of doing it

IIRC the time from hania to paleohora is 2 hours+ ( to give you an idea) on some....interesting roads, not dangerous, but interesting  )
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 04:52:52 PM by harribobs »

Offline Alex&fran G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/groundy
    • Email
Plakias to Paleohora
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »
Quote from: Stuart & Hilary

We used to bus from Plakias to Chora Sfakia and then catch the ferry to Sougia or Paleochora.
But the bus service from Plakias was stopped a couple of years ago (we now taxi).  The ferry trip is well worth doing ( the ferry stays close to the coast and provides spectacular views of the mountains) and it is a car ferry if you wish to take your car. Also the ferry journey can be broken at Loutro for one or two nights and also at Sougia. All though there are several ferries to Agia Roumeni during the day , just the one, mid afternoon goes all the way to Paleochora. You can however catch an earlier ferry & spend a few hours at say Loutro. I suppose you could always leave the car at Chora Skafia.

Stuart
Hi Stuart, Thanks for your help it sounds a good idea , I might get out of driving altogether,how much am I looking at for a taxi? Regards Alex
MAKE SURE YOUR MEMORIES ARE NEVER GREATER THAN YOUR DREAMS.

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
Plakias to Paleohora
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 07:43:59 PM »
Quote from: Stuart & Hilary

Stuart
Hi Stuart, Thanks for your help it sounds a good idea , I might get out of driving altogether,how much am I looking at for a taxi? Regards Alex

I am sure somebody will come up with a reliable figure. I think it was about 35 euros, but the ferry trip is really enjoyable & cheap. If you can get an early morning ferry then I am sure lunch in Loutro will go down a treat. And if you are lucky Harribobs may even produce some photos of Loutro and the ferry trip to whet your appetite.
Stuart

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Plakias to Paleohora
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 10:12:10 PM »
loutro? nice place...

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
Plakias to Paleohora
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 10:21:37 AM »
Quote from: harribobs
loutro? nice place...

That's a fine photo & that sea does look inviting.
It has reminded us that on one of our early visits, in the days of the drachma, we had an evening drink in the taverna which is the last one at the east end of the bay. After the drink we left what we thought was a 1000 note (about £3 I think). The next morning, we called in for coffee and the lady owner presented us with a handful of money. We (or more likey, my wife) had left a 10,000 note.
So now we always make a point of spending money in her taverna, not that she would ever recognise us.

Stuart.

Offline janm

• View Profile
    • Email
Plakias to Paleohora
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 11:04:26 AM »
We have made the trip to Paleohora many times, both from Plakias and also direct from Heraklion airport.  From Heraklion airport to Paleohora takes us exactly 3 hours (broken down it is an hour from the airport to Rethymno, and hour from Rethymno to the Paleohora turn off at Tavronitis and a further hour from there down into Paleohora.  From Plakias the drive is about two and a half hours, but I agree that the ferry is more enjoyable, particularly if you can break the journey at Loutro.  The last ferry into Paleohora arrives there at 6pm, in comfortable time to find a room (plenty and reasonably priced), grab a shower and enjoy your evening volta before your evening meal.
Jan

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Plakias to Paleohora
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 01:46:46 PM »
I can agree with all the above. Although I've never driven from Hania to Paleohora, the journey on coach/bus is very enjoyable, and as Harribobs said, not dangerous.

Mike

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias to Paleohora
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 06:18:18 PM »
Quote from: janm
(broken down it is an hour from the airport to Rethymno, and hour from Rethymno to the Paleohora turn off at Tavronitis and a further hour from there down into Paleohora. Jan

Which bus from Ρεθυμνο do you need to take to get to Ταυρονιτις?  I see from my 2005 timetable that there is a direct service to Παλαιοχωρα from Χανια, so I suppose you could change buses there.  (Trying out my Greek fonts.  )
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline janm

• View Profile
    • Email
Plakias to Paleohora
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 10:02:20 AM »
Noopsy
Sorry if I mislead you, we travelled by car not by bus.  It would take a lot longer by bus.
Jan

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias to Paleohora
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 01:33:56 PM »
Quote from: Noopsy 500
Which bus from Ρεθυμνο do you need to take to get to Ταυρονιτις?  I see from my 2005 timetable that there is a direct service to Παλαιοχωρα from Χανια, so I suppose you could change buses there.  (Trying out my Greek fonts.  )
I seem to remember that the bus times from Paleohora to Hania suit the school children rather than the tourists, but it was well worth getting up early for.

Mike

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias to Paleohora
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 09:01:30 PM »
To get from Iraklion or Rethymnon to Paleochora, you do indeed change buses at Chania. There are 3 or 4 buses a day to Paleochora and it takes about 2 hours (from Chania).

I've done the trip from Paleochora/Sougia to Plakias twice. By boat to Chora Sfakion. Then the first time I shared a taxi with 3 other people that I met on the boat, the second time I was offered a lift with some people that had a hire car and I met on the boat. There's always some way of getting around, even if the but doesn't run any more!

Greecemad

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias to Paleohora
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 10:36:35 PM »
Quote from: Greecemad
To get from Iraklion or Rethymnon to Paleochora, you do indeed change buses at Chania. There are 3 or 4 buses a day to Paleochora and it takes about 2 hours (from Chania).

I've done the trip from Paleochora/Sougia to Plakias twice. By boat to Chora Sfakion. Then the first time I shared a taxi with 3 other people that I met on the boat, the second time I was offered a lift with some people that had a hire car and I met on the boat. There's always some way of getting around, even if the but doesn't run any more!

Greecemad

This didn't work as well as in previous years. This time I had to get my own taxi from Chora Sfakion to Plakias. It cost 50 euro.

Greecemad

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias to Paleohora
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 02:42:15 PM »
Quote from: Noopsy 500

Noopsy,

I know where Tavronitis is now. I saw the bridge that has been mentioned in another thread. It's about where the bus from Chania to Paleochora leaves the north coast. So you can get the Paleochora bus from Chania, or the bus to Kastelli-Kismos which has a more frequent service.

Greecemad