login

Author Topic: "Village Store" closes ....  (Read 25301 times)

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
"Village Store" closes ....
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 01:44:35 PM »
Anyway, going back to the original subject...

Ali & Dave,

I would just like to add my commiserations to those already expressed here for the sudden loss of your business.  During my stays in Plakias I have come to fondly regard your shop with Dave "standing guard" as a little piece of England (even though I am not actually English myself) where for a few minutes I could relax and not have to wrestle with the intricacies of the Greek language in order to express myself.  I have always admired your spirit of enterprise in taking the plunge to make a living in a foreign land, and now even more so for your enduring optimism in the face of adversity.  I wish you all the best in whatever it is you decide to do next, and hopefully, that you will now be able to spend some time socially with us.  

Νούψη
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 01:57:25 PM by Noopsy 500 »
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Chas

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2008, 05:01:08 PM »
Quote from: Ali & Dave
Dimitri

It's obvious that whilst you were here you never got to understand the local culture and maybe that'swhy you left.  When you said you wanted to run a 'taxi' service to the airport only during the day, are you talking about actually going through all the licensing required for proper taxi drivers or just trying to scam some money.

We are not hated here and after 6 years of a lot of hard work there are many people here who have huge respect for us and we will continue to live here.  Yes, I could go back to UK and earn 3 or 4 times the amount but the quality of live here, for me, is much better and what is money at the end of the day.

You constantly put negative comments on the board and I know talking to people during the summer we're bored of it.  Maybe you could keep your negative comments to yourself and let the rest of us enjoy the Plakias we love.

How to behave on an Internet Forum
Chas

Stupidity is its own reward.

colin_1972

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2008, 02:45:15 AM »
Dimitri

It's obvious that whilst you were here you never got to understand the local culture and maybe that'swhy you left.  When you said you wanted to run a 'taxi' service to the airport only during the day, are you talking about actually going through all the licensing required for proper taxi drivers or just trying to scam some money.

We are not hated here and after 6 years of a lot of hard work there are many people here who have huge respect for us and we will continue to live here.  Yes, I could go back to UK and earn 3 or 4 times the amount but the quality of live here, for me, is much better and what is money at the end of the day.

You constantly put negative comments on the board and I know talking to people during the summer we're bored of it.  Maybe you could keep your negative comments to yourself and let the rest of us enjoy the Plakias we love.

Hi to both of you.. was there in October and I'm really sorry that the shop has gone... it was a constant, not just for the 'every-years' but also for people who were new to Plakias from the UK as you both made it fell like walking into the 'corner shop'. I really hope that things work themselves out over the winter period and I definitely hope to see you next year! C

Offline The Lib

• ICQ Messenger - 28569256
    • MSN Messenger - chriscartledge@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zen34115.zen.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2009, 03:51:14 AM »
I know I'm late coming in on thise but hearing the village store is gone is a complete shock to me.  I popped in there nearly every day from mid May till mid July this year and for a week or 2 for the previous 4 years just because it felt like a little bit of england out in greece and now it's gone.

Completely shocked, completely. That's all I can say.

I hope to see Dave & Ali in Joe's next year for a few
What to do if you're trapped with no hope of rescue:...
Consider how lucky you are that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you which is more likely given your current circumstances, consider how lucky you are that it won't be bothering you much longer!

Offline Ali & Dave

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2009, 06:00:54 PM »
Happy New Year to everyone and despite world economics we hope to see you this year.

Good news to start the year is that Dave has a job.  He'll be working in the supermarket next to our old one in the evenings from 4 onwards.

It is a great relief to us to have both of us in employment so I'll be in Alianthos Car Hire from 3 and Dave working in the supermarket from 4 and it will be great to see any of you when you are here.

I guess we will just have to go to the beach in the morning  

Ali & dave
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 06:02:12 PM by Ali & Dave »

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2009, 09:37:34 PM »
Happy New Year to everyone and despite world economics we hope to see you this year.

Good news to start the year is that Dave has a job.  He'll be working in the supermarket next to our old one in the evenings from 4 onwards.

It is a great relief to us to have both of us in employment so I'll be in Alianthos Car Hire from 3 and Dave working in the supermarket from 4 and it will be great to see any of you when you are here.

Ali & dave

A Happy New Year to you two as well. That is excellent news. Looking forward to meeting up with you yet again in September

John and Gillian

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2009, 10:28:09 PM »
it's great to hear you've both got some work, and hopefully enough to stay

happy new year to you both from us as well!

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2009, 11:01:42 PM »
That's great news. We'll be back in September. Booked early so it's too late to worry about what the exchange rate will be. See you then.

Offline Chas

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2009, 04:10:45 PM »
Hi, Both,

That's really great news to start the year with.

Especially the renewal with Alianthos - that's next winter covered

All we need now is another super deal (cheapskates that we are).

Take care.

All the best from us two.
Chas

Stupidity is its own reward.

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2009, 04:20:32 PM »
Good news!!
Best wishes, see you in August for a scooter !

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Peter&Dawn

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2009, 12:45:37 PM »

Ali & dave

Happy new year & congratulations to you both.
Think of all those long lie-ins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will see how the Euro goes, but we keep our fingers crossed we can make it again this year.

Peter&Dawn

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2009, 02:32:39 PM »
Hurray, Excellent News!

Look forward to seeing you in September.

Paul & Marge

Offline Roland

• View Profile
    • http://wcsweb.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2009, 10:40:17 PM »
Hi Ali & Dave,

Great to know you're sticking with it. Plakias is worth it, and you're a credit to it.
We are back off-schedule in May - just booked it today, going to do the gorge
while there's still some water in it.

Hope all continues to work out for you, you're kind of living our dream, but we've
never quite managed to make the break. If we did, we always said we would make
the best of it and constantly remind ourselves what a wonderful place it is and
that it was worth any hardships thrown our way.

Look forward to seeing you in May - we are hoping to have kicked the fags by then
and it will at least be a relief that we wont be giving that extra bit of trade to anyone
else but you  

Roland & Jan

P.S. If this message ever gets there it'll be a miracle - Hampshire is a  technological
wilderness for internet connectivity - shame really as that's what we do for a living!
---------------
Roland & Jan
---------------

Offline Rowena & Carl

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - rowenabarlow@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.results4u.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2009, 11:15:56 PM »
Quote from: Roland
Hi Ali & Dave,

Great to know you're sticking with it. Plakias is worth it, and you're a credit to it.
We are back off-schedule in May - just booked it today, going to do the gorge
while there's still some water in it.

Hope all continues to work out for you, you're kind of living our dream, but we've
never quite managed to make the break. If we did, we always said we would make
the best of it and constantly remind ourselves what a wonderful place it is and
that it was worth any hardships thrown our way.

Look forward to seeing you in May - we are hoping to have kicked the fags by then
and it will at least be a relief that we wont be giving that extra bit of trade to anyone
else but you  

Hi both of you,

Happy New Year & that's great news about Dave's job.

It was great to see you both, we throughly enjoyed Dave's party & it was great spending Christmas eve with you. Wish we could of met up again but the time just went. How was New Years Eve & Dave's DJ spot? We had a great night in Chania, a bit too good really bearing in mind we had to be at the airport by 8.30am!!

We loved Plakias & Crete in the winter despite the rain, I think we both feel we could live there at some point now. Still haven't made any descisions on the apartment but will be in touch when we do. We will do all we can to keep it though. Hope it's ok to pick your brians on a few things too.

Take Care & enjoy the winter now you know the future

Love

Rowena & Carl

Roland & Jan

P.S. If this message ever gets there it'll be a miracle - Hampshire is a technological
wilderness for internet connectivity - shame really as that's what we do for a living!

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2009, 03:56:31 PM »
Good news. I'm really pleased to hear that things have worked out for you both.

Have a great New Year.

Noopsy
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 03:57:13 PM by Noopsy 500 »
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος