login

Author Topic: car hire  (Read 4442 times)

Offline happyashellas

• View Profile
car hire
« on: September 29, 2013, 08:22:05 PM »
We will be arriving in Plakias on October 8th and wondered if anyone knows of a good car hire place? By good, of course, I mean dirt cheap! Also, what are the best routes for any gorges nearby - by which I mean is it easier going up or down, where to park etc.
Είναι Ελλάδα έτσι δεν είναι

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Re: car hire
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 07:59:30 AM »
Re gorges we like to motor to Hora Sfakia and park at the bottom of the Imbros gorge. We then walk up, have lunch in taverna at the top and then decide what to do - either get a "taxi". Down or walk down. We always walk down. Beautiful and not difficult walk.

Re car hire we always use Autoway - maybe not the cheapest but very reasonable and very reliable. Full 100% insurance on all the car - no excesses whatsoever. They are good for airport pickup but not from Plakias (Rethymnon based)

John
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 08:04:16 AM by John R »

Offline Plakias Lover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 08:43:08 AM »
We always use Just Car Rentals, and have done for many years.  Picking up a car on Saturday 123 Euros for week - everything included, even second driver.
No hesitation in recommending them.

Offline thetravelor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 04:44:34 PM »
I always rent a car at Economy car hire, and always with a discount voucher from Voucherbox (as far as I can remember, we've found discount every time we went to Plakias). So I could recommend economy car hire ;)

Offline happyashellas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 11:33:40 AM »
When we were in Plakias we went to every car hire place and the prices were all expensive compared to quotes given online. The cheapest we found was 156 Euros for a week, class A. Not being happy about this we went online and found Imperial car hire who claimed to be in Damnoni, for 98 Euros per week, and they would deliver the car to our rooms as well. We booked with them, and on the day of delivery they phoned and said they were busy but the car was waiting for us at Monza car hire, next to the Lamon hotel. We walked along and picked up the car and everything was fine. I'm not sure how this works, as Monza quoted me 156 in person, but then another company online using the same people can give you the same car for 30% less. Seems like a bit of a tourist trap if you just turn up.

Offline We live in Plakias

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 09:31:17 AM »
Hello,

A bit late to help you with your holiday but should you come again to Crete then you can't do better than Autoway. My wife and I hire a car for the year from them. For an economy car we pay 2,800 Euros for the year. An up front payment of 1,400 Euros and then a further 1,400 after six months. This works out at less than 8 Euros a day. Car parking at Heraklion Airport when we go back to the UK is free. We just drop the car off at their parking bay at the airport. Whilst you can't rent a car from them in Plakias if you go on line they will have the car ready and waiting for you at either Chania or Heraklion airport.

Offline happyashellas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 09:28:25 PM »
We only tend to hire for the one week when we go on holiday. The first few days we spend around whichever resort or village we happen to be at, just unwinding in general. The next week we spend in the car, seeing as much as we can in the surrounding area and then the last few days back at the resort to get the last bit of sun before returning home. We did hire for the two weeks once, and while it is handy for the airport, we tended to find that you wanted to use the thing every day to make it worthwhile. Different strokes I suppose....