login

Author Topic: Olympic 2014 (already)  (Read 7258 times)

Offline daza

• Say "Hello" Theo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Olympic 2014 (already)
« on: June 12, 2013, 01:07:18 PM »
Eager to return next year so had a peek on the Olympic website.  So - Small Planet Airlines from Birmingham and NO DEALS from EMA to Costas Chrysoula yet.What!!! No flights with Jet2 yet either (as a package anyway). I wish they'd get their finger out. I can't wait to come back!!!At this rate I'll probably end up doing the independant thing cos Jet2 flight are available (evening flights now though not  morning!). Arrrrgh!!! Calm down - it's a year away yet. ;)

Offline JeanW

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Olympic 2014 (already)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 09:40:17 PM »
I am taking a chance and have booked with Olympic at KC (v good deal) for May 2014- have only had to pay £50 deposit. The airline showing has a prefix QS but I have no doubt it will change several times before next May.

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:33:43 PM »
I came home to a letter from Olympic.   Olympic are making their usual scheduling changes we all come expect.  Not too bad though - the Germania flight from Manchester (in August at least) has changed from 9.00am to 6.50am.  A very early start, but at least we are only 5 miles from the airport.  Not so good for others with further to go. 

At least we arrive in Plakias earlier, even if it probably means a rather early start for the magical mystery bus back to the airport on departure day.

Here's to everyone's travel disruptions being minor ones.

Arnaki

Offline ketil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 08:40:28 AM »
We are going to Plakias 10. May  for 1 week :)

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 10:48:25 AM »
I am fascinated by the complete variation in prices and options revealed in these threads. Living down in Plymouth we don't appear to have much choice but to use Gatwick flights (we used to go via Bristol but this hasn't been an option for ages according to our travel agents when booking). Gatwick is fine and, because of the timings we often have to stay in the Yotel (highly recommended if a bit quirky) as there are no trains to get us home after certain times but we see this as part of the adventure.
I'd love to take advantage of the cheaper options but, for us, getting to the northern airports is as expensive as spending more on the hols. I appreciate that holiday bookings are influenced by availability, seating and charter flights but I just wonder if anyone has undertaken a study of the variation...would make an excellent study for a stats degree ! Even so I am just wondering how 'unfair' some of the options are.....especially if you are travelling independently which we have also done in the past. Welldone to anyone who has taken advantage of the options.......any excuse to get to Plakias !

Offline daza

• Say "Hello" Theo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 12:07:17 PM »
Just been trying to find the terms and conditions (no luck) to find out if I had perhaps overstepped the mark with my original post!
Then again - there are loads of plugs for taxi's, buses, airports, restaurants, hotels and apartments etc (not forgetting LES himself) so I hope I haven't upset the administrators by plugging the holiday company and this last minute bargain (have I?).
I need to get my guilty conscience sorted out and chill out a bit don't you agree?
I think I need a holiday - 2 weeks and counting.

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 12:19:38 PM »
Well I'm not upset!
The forum is for anything relating to Plakias, and Olympic plays a big part in getting us there. I also struggle with understanding their business practices.
John - Ostraco

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 01:35:13 PM »
I am fascinated by the complete variation in prices and options revealed in these threads. Living down in Plymouth we don't appear to have much choice but to use Gatwick flights (we used to go via Bristol but this hasn't been an option for ages according to our travel agents when booking). Gatwick is fine and, because of the timings we often have to stay in the Yotel (highly recommended if a bit quirky) as there are no trains to get us home after certain times but we see this as part of the adventure.
I'd love to take advantage of the cheaper options but, for us, getting to the northern airports is as expensive as spending more on the hols. I appreciate that holiday bookings are influenced by availability, seating and charter flights but I just wonder if anyone has undertaken a study of the variation...would make an excellent study for a stats degree ! Even so I am just wondering how 'unfair' some of the options are.....especially if you are travelling independently which we have also done in the past. Welldone to anyone who has taken advantage of the options.......any excuse to get to Plakias !

If anyone fully understands Olympic's pricing then they are cleverer than me! You often get a good price by booking very early (i.e. June-Aug for the next season) but if sales are slow then they will often reduce the price significantly. Some people get a real bargain by waiting until the last minute when Olympic need to get a quick sale but you take the risk of not getting anything. Most late bargains are for 7 days only though.

Mike

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 04:20:31 PM »
Oops....didn't occur to me that others would be asking the same question but I don't mind the discussion...it's all about service delivery and this Forum helps those of us keen to get out to Plakias to choose the best way of doing so. I'd put it down to competitive edge (although some explanations would help).
To be totally honest I don't think the problem lies 100% with Olympic.....they have to deal with the charter airlines as well and quite often the travel agents seem to have a say too (we had a massive discount from Thomas Cook a few years ago that was nothing to do with the Olympic prices)..so fair's fair.

Offline triton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 08:50:59 AM »
We booked to go to Kos in the next two weeks with Olympic, paid deposit in December and final balance in Febuary.
Just done a dummy run with the booking and the same holiday is half price !!
Lesson learned, will not be booking that early EVER again especially because we are very flexible on where we go at the time we want to.

Although we have already booked Plakias in September but not with Olympic.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:51:57 PM by triton750 »

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 03:56:13 PM »
As a few people have posted - when booking with Olympic, be prepared for the flights to change. We go in just over two weeks' time and have received our tickets but heard today that we're being switched to Thomson flights instead of Travel Services. Fortunately, our airport hotel booking for the night before still works out ok and, although we'll miss breakfast, it does mean that we'll arrive in Plakias earlier :)

Offline bwian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 09:58:06 PM »
We had that two years ago. They mucked us about massively. Flew independent the last two years (Thos Cook,  then Thompson)

Offline teignkall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 09:06:04 PM »
Hi Graham and Karen, did you see my mail re manchester flight, it looks like olympic are having problems with the airlines again. At least we will have the benifit of returning from Chania. May see you in Plakias as we go in just over a week. (olympic willing).

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 10:37:28 PM »
Yes - may see you kalloni as we overlap by a week and we're also at Costas Chrysoula. Say hello, if you see us. We have flown via Chania before but were disappointed that the transfer was just as long. A long time ago so I can't remember whether it was with Olympic or First Choice.

Offline teignkall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 09:18:45 PM »
Its been a few years since I was at Chania airport but it always seemed less crowded and more relaxing (imo). The last time we were there I seem to remember that they were asking for about every 10th case to be opened as it went through the scanner, (probably to help pass the time away.) I think Rethymon is about half way between the two airports so similar time for coach transfer, there will probably be a shorter route over the mountains by car/taxi.