Author Topic: Best beaches, what's yours ?  (Read 4495 times)

Offline triton

• View Profile
Best beaches, what's yours ?
« on: July 30, 2014, 08:28:05 PM »
And why ?

Offline Davebeck1654

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best beaches, what's yours ?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 01:31:32 PM »
Damnoni. Excellent tavernas also especially the pizza.

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 02:06:39 PM »
Probably Souda at the far west of the bay...mainly because it is sheltered, often misses the wind, is not as busy, has very clear water and a gently sloping beach with a tavern and great views....but then I'm a sucker for any of the beaches where I can lie back and watch and listen to the eagles...you cant do that everywhere !!!!

And I like Soula's little beach opposite the Sirrocco tavern.....have been using that little cove for years.

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 05:08:25 PM »
We also love Souda for exactly the same reasons as Jackie!
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline triton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 11:54:29 AM »
We like to make a day of it (at least once ) to Hora Sfakion ( have breakfast there ) and catch the little ferry to Sweetwater Beach.

Offline daza

• Say "Hello" Theo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 02:39:48 PM »
I'd go to Shinaria beach every day if I could afford the transport! A healthy walk to Souda Beach (not bay!!) is a lovely change from the local beach, especially if its a bit windy in Plakias. But then again there's now't wrong with Plakias beach if you ask me.

Offline spottttttt

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 04:36:39 PM »
We like to make a day of it (at least once ) to Hora Sfakion ( have breakfast there ) and catch the little ferry to Sweetwater Beach.
So do we. Got to be one of the best beaches on the island!!

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 08:01:23 PM »
Beaches within walking distance of Plakias, Souda is my favourite, for sure.

Two tavernas for lunch and to avoid the mid-day sun

I like to walk further round the coast when I get bored of the beach but my wife does not.The views are fantastic, the little pine grove on the hill-side is alive with seed-eating birds in the spring and the smell of the pine resin is lovely.

Lots of fish around the rocks, makes for interesting snorkelling.

Raptors (as mentioned above somewhere); lying on the beach just watching is brilliant!

Incidentally, does anyone know what is happening with the beach in the cove beyond Souda? There is some sort of pre-fab building there, some old wooden chairs, and it looks like somebody has set-up a handful of parasols, judging by the concrete 'buckets' and hollow poles sticking out of the top.

Is it only a matter of time before Souda becomes a small resort in its own right? It has expanded, albeit very slowly, over the years.

Richard

Offline robludlow

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 10:35:02 AM »
I like Souda because, not being a strong swimmer, I can go up and down parallel to the beach without worrying about rocks or strong currents!
 But my friend and me decided ages ago that Amoudi is the best. If you are lucky it doesn't get too busy, tho sometimes you have to share it for a couple of hours with the diving school. But it's quite interesting sometimes to watch them going in and out. It's a good leg stretch from Plakias, but you can do it in 40 to 45 mins if you go on the little road through the olive groves, then cut through Hapimag and along. The great thing is it's a lovely little bay (and you can get there by road if you want to) with interesting shifting shapes to the beach due to the freshwater stream that enters at the far end. And there's always the chance of seeing kingfishers. :)

Offline happyashellas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 02:40:10 PM »

Incidentally, does anyone know what is happening with the beach in the cove beyond Souda? There is some sort of pre-fab building there, some old wooden chairs, and it looks like somebody has set-up a handful of parasols, judging by the concrete 'buckets' and hollow poles sticking out of the top.

Is it only a matter of time before Souda becomes a small resort in its own right? It has expanded, albeit very slowly, over the years.

Richard

Do you mean Pefkias beach? Don't recall seeing anything there in May, but will be sure to check it out again in October. Wouldn't have thought it would be busy enough to warrant putting anything there, but time will tell.
Είναι Ελλάδα έτσι δεν είναι