Author Topic: Begging etc  (Read 3135 times)

Offline happyashellas

• View Profile
Begging etc
« on: October 27, 2013, 12:22:17 PM »
When I was fishing in the harbour at Plakias, I offered a fish I had caught to what I thought was a local guy. It turned out he was from Bulgaria and unemployed. I ended up giving him 4 fish, hooks, weights and other bits and pieces. We also came across a few beggars of Asian origin as well. I have come across this sort of thing in the north of the island before, but this was a first for the south. Is it a big problem in the southern areas now?
Είναι Ελλάδα έτσι δεν είναι

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Begging etc
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
Had an odd, and slightly disquieting, experience at the end of last year's season. A chap dressed as Charlie Chaplie (or similar) came along the little beach below Siroco etc. with a begging bowl.

He had clearly made quite an effort with the costume, and I feel slightly guilty that I didn't realise what he was doing, having been half asleep on the beach, until he had moved on. I didn't have the chance to put something in his bowl.

Unusual (in fact unique) in my experience at Plakias, there have always been people trying to sell cheap souvenirs but begging was a first for me, even though a great deal of effort had clearly been made.

Offline Plakias Lover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 08:51:54 AM »
Hi

"Charlie Chaplin" was on main beach when we where there beginning of October.
Whenever anyone put money in his bowl he posed for photos with them striking lots of famous poses. He had obviously done his homework and looked & acted the part very well.
Restaurant owners however were not too happy whenever he tried to go in & soon gave him short shrift.
He never uttered a word & under make-up it was impossible to tell his nationality, however he was very polite and did not try to muscle in on anyone who was not interested.
We also saw a couple of enterprising young boys who came down the stoney beach with a cool box selling soft drinks; very welcome, even thought they were double the price!
However due to the effort of carrying the loaded coolbox it was worth it!

Offline happyashellas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 10:44:40 AM »
We had seen the usual guys selling all sorts of things like caps with built in lights, but these guys actually have a van load of the stuff so I would imagine that this is a business of sorts, legal or otherwise. One disabled guy walked along the prom shouting to every person on the beach with his hand out, and we witnessed an Asian girl being told to leave a restaurant somewhat abruptly by the staff. I know there are problems in Crete as you can't help to notice the large camp just outside Heraklion airport - perhaps they've just spread down south now as the pickings might be better there?
It's always a tricky situation - if you give do you just encourage begging, but maybe the beggar in question has no other options.
Είναι Ελλάδα έτσι δεν είναι

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 05:25:07 PM »
This theme makes interesting reading. Mr Chaplin was in Plakias for about a week last year and arrived one day on the local bus service. I have to admit he completely freaked me out but that is only because I cannot stand anything with a face mask (clowns, performers or mimes etc etc...it's a long story). He seemed to realise when he was welcomed and I think he was actually Greek...but I'm not sure.

The current economic situation across the EU is going to place even more pressure on those with limited status so the chances are that more will resort to begging or selling trinklets. It is happening all over the place. In most cases the locals and tavernas owners will move people on...the Police seldom get involved although there is a long standing sense of mistrust between the islanders and the incomers from, particularly, the Eastern Block countries. This can lead to tension on occasions.

This shouldn't be confused with the non hearing/non speaking sellers who visit the tavernas with things to sell...this is a completely different matter and is usually welcomed be the owners as their way of supporting those less well off.

I guess there will be more incidents in future but it's hard to say to what extent. It has happened before and it was dealt with locally.

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 09:24:04 PM »
Agree re face mask, not necessarily freaked-out as such but awoke to see a 'robotic' face and found it slightly disturbing. Hence slow/too late response.

Remember the non-hearing/speaking vendors in the tavernas during the early 90s, bought all sorts of stuff that I didn't need, hope it helped in some way.

Re Asian people (or were they EEU Gypsies? Same origin, if one looks far enough back), many there in the Spring, apparently re-upholstering chairs amongst other things. Missing this Autumn, though, have they moved on or were they moved on?

Richard