Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Spam
« on: September 21, 2006, 11:52:53 AM »
Hi All,

Sorry about the spam. Am in Plakias at the moment so don't get to check the forum as much as at home.

In for a few naff days weather so may get to check it more now  

Cheers

Paul

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Spam
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 09:44:54 AM »
Naff weather in Plakias?  Never!!
Hows the  Mythos going down? I did leave you some.

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Spam
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 04:14:40 PM »
Quote from: Barny
Naff weather in Plakias? Never!!
Hows the Mythos going down? I did leave you some.

Barny.

Hi Barny,

Mythos is going down just fine (and the wine, raki and ouzo :- )

Cheers,

Paul
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 04:15:24 PM by Ploppy »

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Spam
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 12:09:39 PM »
Paul,
The forum seems to be getting more than it's fair share of dodgy postings at the moment. I wondered whether a way of deterring the perpetrators would be to prevent a new member from posting immediately after joining. If posting rights could be withheld for, say 3 days, it might deter them.

Possible?

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Spam
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 01:19:09 PM »
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen
Paul,
The forum seems to be getting more than it's fair share of dodgy postings at the moment. I wondered whether a way of deterring the perpetrators would be to prevent a new member from posting immediately after joining. If posting rights could be withheld for, say 3 days, it might deter them.

Possible?

Anything like this causes Paul more work and it really has to be up to him. I run a busy forum where all subscribers are kept "on review" until they have made their first approved post. This means that the first post of any subscriber comes to me (or a colleague) and I have to approve it for forwarding to the forum. If the message is ok then at the same time I lift all the posting restrictions on that subscriber. It does cause quite a bit of work but it is managable. Obviously there is sometimes a slight delay before I get round to checking the subsmitted messages. For the occasional poster it also allows me to sort out some technical problems they are having which would otherwise affect the quality of their post if it had gone through.

One thing I do say is that Paul is very quick off the mark in getting rid of the spam. - well done

Does Paul need any help with any of the routine running - would that be of any use ??

John R
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 01:19:54 PM by John R »

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Spam
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 01:33:14 PM »
I think something needs to be done and also that it ought to be down to Paul and Ostraco, as they will be the ones who have to do it. Personally, I wouldn't want to deter those many people who, on finding the forum for the first time, immediately make a posting with a question that the regulars can help them with.

Mike

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Spam
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 01:58:34 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
I think something needs to be done and also that it ought to be down to Paul and Ostraco, as they will be the ones who have to do it. Personally, I wouldn't want to deter those many people who, on finding the forum for the first time, immediately make a posting with a question that the regulars can help them with.

Mike
I agree that we don't want to put off genuine new members by delaying their ability to post. I suggested this method as something that would be automatic and would therefore save Paul and Ostraco any additional work. Management of the site must already take up as much of their time as they would want and if there is no automatic way of detering the pests they will be spending ever more time removing them.

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Spam
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 02:56:48 PM »
Thanks for you input guys and thanks for the PMs with reported Spam.

I have deleted 20 odd members and put in a couple of ban filters on certain IPs/Domains.

Also I have now turned on Admin verfication before new users can post, we'll see how we get on with this.
That should help a lot, may still get a couple from existing dodgy users I have missed.

I do believe that is my first post since coming back from Plakias, apologies to anyone to whom I owe a response.

Hopefully life will be getting a little easier soon and I'll be posting like a madman!

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Spam
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 02:00:27 PM »
Quote from: Ploppy
Thanks for you input guys and thanks for the PMs with reported Spam.

I have deleted 20 odd members and put in a couple of ban filters on certain IPs/Domains.

Also I have now turned on Admin verfication before new users can post, we'll see how we get on with this.
That should help a lot, may still get a couple from existing dodgy users I have missed.

I do believe that is my first post since coming back from Plakias, apologies to anyone to whom I owe a response.

Hopefully life will be getting a little easier soon and I'll be posting like a madman!

Cheers,

Paul
Paul,

I've noticed that our last new member was as long ago as 14/1/07. I'm sure we haven't gone that long before. However, if you do a members search there are well over 250 "validating members" since that date. I assume this has something to do with minimising spam. Whilst we all support measures to minimise spam we don't want to deter genuine Plakias lovers, current or future.

Mike

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Spam
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 03:26:42 PM »
Paul,

I've noticed that our last new member was as long ago as 14/1/07. I'm sure we haven't gone that long before. However, if you do a members search there are well over 250 "validating members" since that date. I assume this has something to do with minimising spam. Whilst we all support measures to minimise spam we don't want to deter genuine Plakias lovers, current or future.

Mike

Quite right Mike

I have validated all members and intend to keep on top of it now. 95% of members registrations are for spam purposes by the look of it.

Cheers,

Paul