Author Topic: BA Flights - Manchester  (Read 12043 times)

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
BA Flights - Manchester
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2006, 08:36:16 PM »
Quote from: G&S
Sorry to hear the BA response to you, John.  Agreed with all that it's not what we wanted to hear.  Fully understand your position re the Newcastle flights.  Reviewing our strategy re the way ahead, but will probably wait a little while at least to see if there's any chance of stance from BA.

Graham

I've been surfing all over the place to try and get more clues. Some booking agencies are still offering those BA6810 flights from Machester for 2007 but I suspect they are also out of date (and hence they and their customers may get a shock) Some evidence for this is their showing the old flight times when immediately prior to cancellation they had been altered a little.

If you go to http://www.gbairways.com/where-we-fly/route-map/ then it is quite clear that there are lots of flights from Gatwick - including to Heraklion but when one puts the mouse pointer on Manchester there are very few flights shown and certainly none to Heraklion.

I've booked my Newcastle flight !!

John
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 08:37:02 PM by John R »

Offline Regulars since 1992

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
BA Flights - Manchester
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 09:09:58 PM »
I think you've done the right thing booking your favourable (if not on price) flights from Newcastle, John, as my gut feel is that BA or one of their franchisee operations probably won't run Man-Her next year.  I note GB Airways have introduced some new routes ex Gatwick for 2007 and maybe economics and/or their fleet size has dictated the dropping of the Man-Her flights, although seat occupancy both ways did seem v good earlier this month for scheduled flights.

I too had noticed that the 2007 Man-Her flights still being offered by Expedia are based exactly on this year's timings and not the slightly revised ones originally offered via ba.com until recently.  As you say, they and potential travellers are likely to find they have a problem here sooner or later.

We're still v much planning to return to Plakias/Stella's next autumn and I'm working on our options.  

Graham

Offline Doggy

• View Profile
BA Flights - Manchester
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006, 12:43:46 PM »
Hi List

I'm new to the list.  I too have been having problems with this flight, but I thought I would register to tell you of a response I have had from British Airways yesterday:-

Dear Mr Jones

I am sorry it has taken so long to reply to you.

Please be assured GB Airways have not cancelled flights to Heraklion. They are finalising their schedules for next summer and this route will be available to book in the near future.

If you have any further queries regarding our routes and schedules, please call your local sales office where one of our agents will help you. Their contact details can be found on ba.com at:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ctclist/public/

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Regards
Diana R
British Airways

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
BA Flights - Manchester
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2006, 01:23:21 PM »
Quote from: Doggy
Please be assured GB Airways have not cancelled flights to Heraklion. They are finalising their schedules for next summer and this route will be available to book in the near future.

That may be excellent news for some. I wish they would all talk the same story !!

I've booked now via Newcastle on a flight which is somewhat more expensive but very much more convenient for us so I'm not too bothered though all in all I would have chosen the BA flights with their cheap prices and flexibility on dates.

John R

Offline boxerlover

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
BA Flights - Manchester
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2006, 05:32:24 PM »
Quote from: Doggy
Hi List

I'm new to the list.  I too have been having problems with this flight, but I thought I would register to tell you of a response I have had from British Airways yesterday:-

Dear Mr Jones

I am sorry it has taken so long to reply to you.

If you have any further queries regarding our routes and schedules, please call your local sales office where one of our agents will help you. Their contact details can be found on ba.com at:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ctclist/public/

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Regards
Diana R
British Airways

This could be very welcome and good news indeed.

I have heared this morning from some friends who have already booked to fly to Heraklion in May with British Airways from Manchester.

They report that their schedule times have altered........albeit by only half an hour.........  this could explain the reason why the flight times have been taken off BA's existing schedule whilst they update their website. I do hope so and have all my fingers crossed.

John

Offline Regulars since 1992

• Regulars
    • View Profile
BA Flights - Manchester
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2006, 10:24:11 AM »
Sorry to have to advise this, John ®, but important news for others no doubt.  Those BA Man-Her flights are now available to book online via BA's website.  £260 return incl. taxes for two in Sept.  Timings slightly later than this year's flights both ways.

What a pity BA seemed to be giving out mixed messages to us before today.

Graham

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
BA Flights - Manchester
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2006, 02:05:55 PM »
Quote from: G&S
Sorry to have to advise this, John ®, but important news for others no doubt.  Those BA Man-Her flights are now available to book online via BA's website.  £260 return incl. taxes for two in Sept.  Timings slightly later than this year's flights both ways.

What a pity BA seemed to be giving out mixed messages to us before today.

Graham

No problem - I'm just pleased for everybody else. Like you - I wish their advisers would get their act together and speak with one voice.. I'm now happy with our Newcastle flights - more convenient, but the extra cost and loss of an extra 3 days or so in Plakias (which would have made up the cost actually) is a bit of a pain. I always act just that little bit too fast. Normally I have next year's flights already booked when I'm in Plakias so this year was for me a bit nail biting and when BA's flights made that temporary disappearence all my nails became very short !!]

I don't think I'll do it this time (did it last year !!) but if I sacrifice the deposit on my Newcastle flight, the BA flights will still be cheaper than the balance that I owe !!!)

John R

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
BA Flights - Manchester
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2006, 05:54:11 PM »
Quote from: John R
The Sunday Telegraph Travel paper had an article on insurance for older people and they tracked down 5 companies they said worth a look :-

Sunworld Plus (0800 389 5904) - maximum age 75

Allclear2go (0870 142 5220) - maximum age 79

Global (01903 203933) - 90 years age limit for single trip

Medicover (0870 735 3600) - no upper age limit

Marrs (0870 920 2222) - no insurance for over 79 on this last one

So Medicover and Global might be worth investigating if you have not already done so.

John R

John

The above information is really useful.

I normally insure with Mondial (through Expedia) but this year there was some hitch, and I had to insure with Lloyds TSB which turned out to be more expensive.  Next year I will make enquiries with a few of the companies you mention to see if I can get a more competitive quote.

Noopsy
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
BA Flights - Manchester
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2006, 09:19:02 AM »
i think i have the answer as to why the flights weren't coming up on the BA connect

all below is quoted from a FLYBE press release to the trade this morning

Today marks a major step in Flybe’s history as we are pleased to
announce we have reached agreement in principle with British Airways to acquire British Airways’ BA Connect airline.

The deal, which we expect will be completed by the end of this year, will mean Flybe will become EUROPE'S LARGEST REGIONAL AIRLINE.

Since the launch of Flybe over 5 years ago we have been successfully serving UK and European regions and continued to expand our network to allow more travellers to benefit from Flybe’s unique added value service and high frequency flights.

Well, it will allow Flybe to offer even more opportunities to travel from your region to other destinations across the UK and Europe on our existing network and to many new destinations.

Acquiring the BA Connect route network means we will provide an even wider selection of services into key European cities such as Paris, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf and Milan.

We will continue to offer low fares, and through integration of additional aircraft will seek to offer you the UK’s best selection of daily flights on many of Flybe’s existing routes.    

Flybe is commited to retaining its added value services for the business traveller, with its Flybe Economy Plus product, a brand new Frequent Flyer programme, which will remain the UK’s most generous and developing new and improved Executive lounges.

Once the acquisition is completed, we expect that from early 2007 you will start benefiting from the new larger Flybe, with Europe’s widest selection of regional flights being on sale through Flybe.

Please continue to use Flybe as you have been for bookings and other travel services as we progress the exciting changes outlined above.