Author Topic: The Train  (Read 3024 times)

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
The Train
« on: April 11, 2015, 12:03:48 PM »
Just a quick enquiry about the (long lost & missed) train. Does anyone know if there are any plans for it to run again this year or ever? Perhaps Dave & Les can answer that.
We are off again in June to Lesvos, and there is a train running there last year and this year between Mythimna, Petra and Anaxos, (www.villagetrain.gr) and it would be nice if our October visit to Plakias were to feature the train again.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:53:09 AM by JBMouse »

Offline Dave&Les

• AOL Instant Messenger - Dave&Les
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Train
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 06:12:01 PM »
We don't know of any plans to run it again but we will be there soon so will ask around. As far as we know it was stopped (many years ago) because it was affecting the trade of the local Taxis.

Offline Yvonne

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 06:38:35 PM »
From what I can remember, it was owned and then sold on by the Vardakis family. I understand it went to Athens. I know it kept breaking down and was high maintenance. We had many a trip out with Marianne and had a high old time, especially the time we went to Kali Sitia for the raki festival! Enough said!!

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 06:01:57 PM »
From memory it was sold to someone in Athens as it was causing many arguments. We miss it too but it did have its downfalls..........even I could have beaten it up to Mirthios. I am so pleased someone else remembers the visit to the raki festival and Marianne.....we went 11 years ago (9th Sept) on the evening of my 40th birthday...and we had to get up early the next morning to catch the coach for the Samaris Gorge. I remember coming back down from the village but not arriving in Plakias...or, for that matter, getting up the next morning but I have the photos to prove that I reached the Iron gates on my 40th! Those were the days !

Offline Rogataber

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 09:50:15 PM »
I can confirm that it is in Athens and is quite popular. It is almost as slow as it seemed to be in Plakias but the hills are not quite so bad!

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 09:13:51 AM »
We loved the train, but have to admit that it really wasn't up to struggling up to Asomatos or beyond. Good to know that it is still working though.