Author Topic: Reporting In  (Read 53757 times)

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2007, 08:13:07 PM »
Thanks!
Yes i have a couple of hundred for him featuring football and carling! just in case he is running low.

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2007, 04:03:24 PM »
O.K. then: here is the latest news.

It is very hot during the day (sorry didn't check the actual temperature but I wouldn't be surprised if it was touching 40 in the afternoon), and at night-time it's so warm you can sleep under the stars if you were so minded.  The sun is very strong: using a slightly higher protection than usual would be a good idea.  The wind has been dying down, and even at "full strength" was never bothersome.  Quite honestly, it's a blessing in this heat.

At the far end there have been some welcome changes (By the way: Plakias beach won the "Blue Flag" award for the 4th year in succession.): those horrible stony bits as you step into the water have dissappeared, and up to about the first line of rocks the sea is sandy and shallow (great for children).  The water is refreshingly cold.  The "goosies" have gone.  All sections of the beach are uncrowded (obviously the rush hasn't yet started).

The Paligremnos beach bar has gone all unreliable, and I have been using the next one along (as you go back into town).

For those that are interested, there are 2 new bank cash machines, making a total of 3 along the sea front.

The "Forum" club where you can access the internet has been done up, and is very nice indeed.

I have finally made it to Stellas: what a delight!  I will do a separate write-up in detail when I get back.

I think I've covered all the main points of immediate interest.  Have a good journey over, Barny.

Noopsy
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Steve Jones

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2007, 09:15:24 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Part way through our summer holidays in Plakias, I thought that I would let people know about the changes that we have noticed this year. Please note we are not the most observant of people, so some of these changes may have taken place last year but we didn't pick up on it then.

1) The seafront appears to be cleaner as there are now plenty of litter bins along the front, which are getting used.
2) The forum bar (above forum shopping centre/supermarket has gone upmarket with a complete refurbishment. Now called 'Frame' cafe/bar it is a very pleasant environment during most of the day. The Notus Cafe Bar (above Sifi's restaurant also is fitted out in the same way-same owners?)
3) A new housing development to be built by a company called 'Gasparkis Construction' (or similar) in the corner piece of land opposite the 'Alianthos Beach' hotel. At the moment there is a small portakabin but signs with mocked up graphics seem to indicate that there will be around 20 or so properties to be built.
4) A new supermarket on the main front next to the Diving School.
5) Windsurfing, sailing and jet skis from a company called Plakias Surfing Centre (or similar) who operate from a small patch of beach half way down. At the moment there are only a few takers and it is operating from a small base, but it is indication of how things may 'progress' in the next few years.

This is our third consequitive year on Plakias with the same two weeks. This year is definitely hotter than the previous two with temperature readings in the shade of 36-40 degrees since Saturday 28th July and less wind.

Steve

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2007, 08:43:07 AM »
Quote from: Steve Jones
5) jet skis

Not good !!??

John R

Offline shinaria

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2007, 09:03:43 AM »
jet skis ... really not good... [ I HATE THEM!]   I wonder when I'll get my first haircut from one of them while snokeling the far end...

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2007, 09:08:03 AM »
 I take it the Mayor has done a u-turn on allowing motorised pleasure vehicles then  !!!!

george g...

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2007, 10:27:19 AM »
i can only remember seeing one in May and it was someone who'd brought it with him, didn't see any at the surf centre ( which is in it's 2nd year now)

just realised what i didn't see in May, the horse and carriages

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2007, 10:33:42 AM »
Quote from: harribobs
i can only remember seeing one in May and it was someone who'd brought it with him, didn't see any at the surf centre ( which is in it's 2nd year now)

That's a shame, I really liked them, although they didn't get used much when I was there last year.  

george g...

Offline Chas

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2007, 01:32:55 PM »
Quote from: George
Quote from: harribobs

That's a shame, I really liked them, although they didn't get used much when I was there last year.  

george g...
Don't shed your tears  .... yet.

The H&C was running every evening between 3rd and 17th July, while we were in town.

Not sure what time he starts each evening but it seemed that if we had to dash to Ali & Dave's for an urgent last-thing purchase, he'd be trotting up the road to park for the night, at 23:00.

Only ever saw the one carriage - usually, parked in the chapel-yard behind the Apollo.
Chas

Stupidity is its own reward.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2007, 01:37:13 PM »
That's good news Chas, was it the big horse or the small one?

george g...

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2007, 02:03:32 PM »
Quote from: John R
5) jet skis
Not good !!??
John R
I totally agree with this and other comments that jet skis or any form of water sports are bad news. I hope the far end remains immune.

Steve Jones is showing real dedication to duty in reporting back whilst still on holiday. It's a pity our "Article System" is so poorly populated, particulary the tavernas section. Loads of members have had their 2007 holidays but haven't added to our reviews.

Mike

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.compage.com
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2007, 05:43:30 PM »
5) Windsurfing, sailing and jet skis from a company called Plakias Surfing Centre (or similar) who operate from a small patch of beach half way down. At the moment there are only a few takers and it is operating from a small base, but it is indication of how things may 'progress' in the next few years.
Oh dear.
It'll be 'dope on a rope' and 'bananas' next.
Better start looking for somewhere else to go.
Next thing it will be 'Full English breakfast all day' and 'Roast beef dinner'.

John Page

Offline Peter&Dawn

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2007, 05:54:13 PM »
Quote from: compage
Oh dear.

If the site regulars don't use the motorised facilities when they are in Plakias, then perhaps the lack of trade will move them on.

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.compage.com
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2007, 05:56:17 PM »
Quote from: Peter&Dawn
Quote from: compage
Oh dear.

If the site regulars don't use the motorised facilities when they are in Plakias, then perhaps the lack of trade will move them on.
I don't think there is much chance of that.
Well, I hope there isn't.
What does everyone else think?
Are you going to hire a jet ski?
John Page

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2007, 07:27:35 PM »
When I was there in June, there were no sign of jet skis or any other powered watersports. There was a watersports outfit with wind surfers etc operating from the old Meltemi Club building - I thought the building had been bought by Alianthos to build a new hotel?

I DID see a horse and carriage, I think, but didn't see much of it.

Greecemad