Author Topic: road to loutra  (Read 3367 times)

Offline flipper

• View Profile
    • Email
road to loutra
« on: September 25, 2012, 01:45:40 PM »
HI. last time we visited plakias was 10 years ago. Hope it has,nt changed much. Reading forum it looks like there is a ferry link to gavdos, any info please members. Also is it possable to drive to loutra from plakias, again any info please.       CHEERS :)

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Re: road to loutra
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 03:30:10 PM »
You can't drive into Loutro by car but can park up in the Sfakia area (from wher we have been today) at various locations to walk on to Loutro. Best option is park at Sfakia and catch boat for short trip to Loutro.

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 09:33:52 PM »
Reading forum it looks like there is a ferry link to gavdos, any info please members.

Hi Flipper -

Sadly no ferry to Gavdos.  It ran (weather permitting) in 2011, but weather did not permit, so when we went this year we were all ready to try to get a few days there.  However the ferry had closed down again.  There are a couple of boats in the small harbour (a new large harbour has been built since you were there 10 years ago) that advertise trips to Gavdos, but when we enquired in Smyrna Music Bar, we were told he needed a minimum of 15 people to go - as there were only 3 of us, we did not think that we could rope 12 strangers into going along - although it might have been fun trying!  I don't know if anyone has any news of whether the ferry will run again.

Enjoy your trip anyway - I'm sure you will.  I'm not sure I would fancy the road trip that Lampyland did though....

Arnaki

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 09:41:16 AM »
This is the closest you can get by road to Loutro. Below is Phoenix bay and the other side of the small headland you can see the Islet at the entrance to Loutro harbour and a smudge of white building. The Old Phoenix hotel is a great place to stay but the drive down is interesting.

Offline mickydripping

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 01:20:40 PM »
My memory (unreliable) tells me that some years ago there was a move to build a tarmac road to Loutro, but the locals were against this proposal, they felt that being isolated was a valuable asset to their tourism..romance ect. I think the oposition was led by one of the local hoteliers, an english lady! Perhaps we should keep this in mind!

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 06:56:31 AM »
Loutro is an outstanding chocolate box destination. The English lady was probably the owner of the Loutro Bay Hotel and she and other businesses were quite right to oppose any road. The whole charm of Loutro, with its blue & white buildings backed by 600 metre cliffs,  is that it is only accessible by boat or foot.  It has a very peaceful  &  relaxing atmosphere , and watching 4 x4s parking in a local car park would not have the same charm as watching the ferries and small boats come & go as they move passengers and supplies back & forth between Sfakia & Loutro. Over the years we have also spoken to Plakias people in Loutro who have travelled to escape the Plakias wind as Loutro is very sheltered.
Stuart