Poll

What do you intend to do?

I intend to keep within 15kg.
14 (70%)
I intend to pay extra for 20kg.
6 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Luggage Allowance  (Read 13581 times)

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Luggage Allowance
« on: August 22, 2008, 12:31:42 PM »
Most airlines have reduced the "free" luggage allowance from 20kg to 15kg. Many (like me) have a job to make 20kg. What do you intend doing in the future, pay the extra or make do with 15kg?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 12:53:27 PM by Mike G »

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Luggage Allowance
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 05:19:02 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
Most airlines have reduced the "free" luggage allowance from 20kg to 15kg. Many (like me) have a job to make 20kg. What do you intend doing in the future, pay the extra or make do with 15kg?
It's still 20kg with Thomas Cook but seeing as I normally weigh in at around 13kg, it's a pity we can't sell 7kg back to the airline. I could always try selling it to Karen I suppose
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 05:21:44 PM by Graham_and_Karen »

Offline Kerstin

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Luggage Allowance
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 07:54:05 PM »

Until now we have 20 kg for each person in Germany.
Every year in the middle of September we travel to Gran Canaria and until now we did not get an other information concerning the luggage.
We are sure we would pay for the extra costs because we cannot and we do not want to reduce our luggage (a lot of clothes, the tent beach, the books,
all cosmetics which are necessary, the hair-drier, the socket which should be against the mosquitos, the first aid-kit and so on).
Due to the experiences I believe, we and all of you take along many things which are absolutely necessary and therefore we are not able to reduce
our luggage.

Kerstin

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Luggage Allowance
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 10:16:59 AM »
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen
It's still 20kg with Thomas Cook but seeing as I normally weigh in at around 13kg, it's a pity we can't sell 7kg back to the airline. I could always try selling it to Karen I suppose
I have booked with a Thomas Cook company for 2009 (my other, non Plakias, holiday) and it is 15kg so even though TC customers may have 20kg this year they probably won't next year.

I must confess G&K to being somewhat impressed that you can get by on 13kg. Is that 1 x 13kg and 1 x 20kg or 2 x 13kg? My holdall (not the heaviest) is at least 3 kg. Washing socks and underwear on holiday is one thing but I don't want to do any more and anyway T shirts, shorts, trousers, etc need ironing.

Any suggestions for reducing luggage weight from any source would be appreciated. Don't suggest buying clothes out there as this would be counter-productive cost-wise.

Mike

Offline Chas

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Luggage Allowance
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 03:25:42 PM »
If you think it's bad having to cut back to 15kg per person .......

Don't fly with NASA - their limit is 300gm per person  }[/i]
Chas

Stupidity is its own reward.

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Luggage Allowance
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 07:25:47 PM »
I have booked with a Thomas Cook company for 2009 (my other, non Plakias, holiday) and it is 15kg so even though TC customers may have 20kg this year they probably won't next year.

I must confess G&K to being somewhat impressed that you can get by on 13kg. Is that 1 x 13kg and 1 x 20kg or 2 x 13kg? My holdall (not the heaviest) is at least 3 kg. Washing socks and underwear on holiday is one thing but I don't want to do any more and anyway T shirts, shorts, trousers, etc need ironing.

Any suggestions for reducing luggage weight from any source would be appreciated. Don't suggest buying clothes out there as this would be counter-productive cost-wise.

Mike
About 13kg each - we each have things in both cases to guard against the circumstance of one going AWOL for a few days as happened a few years ago. I know many people like to have light hand luggage but as we don't usually buy in the duty free shop, I tend to load up my hand luggage with heavy things - camera, books, shoes; as much as I can pack in. Mind you, as this may be the last time we get the luxury of 20kgs, I might put more in the case this time. I must admit that packing light is more difficult nowadays as the heaviest items are usually liquids that can't go in the hand luggage.

Offline johnwhit

• View Profile
Luggage Allowance
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 11:31:07 AM »
Flew out with Monarch, going out at Manchester they did not seem to be overbothered about being over 20kgs but coming back they were very strict. I think they were charging 9 euros per kg for excess weight and if you paid in cash they would not take coins. They made a lot of money that day.

Mandy Harrison

Luggage Allowance
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 09:30:53 PM »
Personally I think I should be allowed more thank 20 kg without charge! I need it - I dont even take cosmetics and all that malarky and I still struggle to get under 20 kg.  Walking gear is heavy - rucksacks etc.  I think airlines should make a dispensation for people within their BMI and if you are in your BMI you shoud be allowed extra kilos in luggage!!

Sorry if this offends anyone but that's just my take on this topic.

As things stand 15 kg is all we are allowed with Monarch and as a result I will have to take less in the way of clothes and have to do washing!  Not a prospect I am looking forward to.

xx

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Luggage Allowance
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 01:09:05 PM »
Quote from: Mandy Harrison
Personally I think I should be allowed more thank 20 kg without charge! I need it - I dont even take cosmetics and all that malarky and I still struggle to get under 20 kg.  Walking gear is heavy - rucksacks etc.  I think airlines should make a dispensation for people within their BMI and if you are in your BMI you shoud be allowed extra kilos in luggage!!

Sorry if this offends anyone but that's just my take on this topic.

As things stand 15 kg is all we are allowed with Monarch and as a result I will have to take less in the way of clothes and have to do washing!  Not a prospect I am looking forward to.

xx
Hello Mandy,

I'm glad you've returned to the Forum. Where have you been?

An interesting proposal if a bit controversial. I assume you want to penalise anyone who is overweight because that is within their remit to control. I have a normal BMI but am quite heavy because I'm so tall. So, should I get the extra allowance in MandyWorld?

This isn't a comment about you and the Great Man but rather about people who spend a lot on car hire (in some cases 4x4 or top of the range) but don't want to spend a trivial sum (Olympic is £3.99 for the extra 5kg for 2009) on having a decent luggage allowance. Maybe it's because they spend so much on these things that they need to make economies somewhere. I assume no airline is saying it's 15kg with no option to purchase extra.

Another option could be for the one who doesn't do the washing at home to do it on holiday.

I hope it's not another 4 months before we hear from you again.

Mike
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 01:33:39 PM by Mike G »

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Luggage Allowance
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 01:38:33 PM »
I did a trial run with the packing over the w/e. I took out all the things I've been carrying around for years, just in case they come in handy or I need them kind of things, and got the weight down to... wait for it... 11kgs.    Surprised me too!!

HI MANDY!! Missed you!  

george g...

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Luggage Allowance
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 02:38:50 PM »
It's still 20kg with Thomas Cook

not on the flight i've booked for next month!

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Luggage Allowance
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 10:54:54 PM »
On BA scheduled flights the allowance is 23kgs. - 2 bags @ 23kgs. ea. if you're travelling in business class. :-
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Luggage Allowance
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 05:51:18 PM »
Quote from: harribobs

Curious - our flights for 9 Sept. from Stansted were booked last year. Maybe they've reduced the allowance since then.

Offline LinR

• View Profile
    • Email
Luggage Allowance
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 07:57:21 PM »
Quote from: harribobs

Curious - our flights for 9 Sept. from Stansted were booked last year. Maybe they've reduced the allowance since then.
Our tickets that arrived yesterday still say 20kg flying from Bristol with XL

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Luggage Allowance
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 10:32:25 PM »
if you booked before they changed it, you should still get the old allowance

however when my May tickets (also XL) came they had 15 kilo on them and i had to get them changed