login

Author Topic: Sun Beds  (Read 55044 times)

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Re: Sun Beds
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2012, 10:53:49 PM »
Yes - I booked a Plakias package but considered doing exactly  what you have done. There was one Plakias package from Newcastle airport at the time which was cheaper than the air fares alone using exactly the same flights. Newcastle was for us mandatory so we felt there was no option. Saving a lot on car hire as well.

Offline Bertie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2012, 05:49:03 AM »
Sorry, but this stream has deteriorated into a private conversation nothing to do with the subject of "beaches"!!

Offline Regulars since 1992

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2012, 09:01:03 AM »
Oops. Sorry, Bertie. Point taken as several of do seem to have moved on from sun beds and the far end to packages v independent. Just one last quick general observation. The Olympic fares show just how little the accommodation owners must be paid by the tour companies. I remember Stella saying something similar back in the days when she was signed up with First Choice.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2012, 02:37:53 PM »
Just one last quick general observation. The Olympic fares show just how little the accommodation owners must be paid by the tour companies. I remember Stella saying something similar back in the days when she was signed up with First Choice.
I'm sure this is true. However, they do have the guarantee of a full season's worth of bookings which only the top accommodations will achieve in these recessionary times.

Mike

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2012, 04:35:54 PM »
Fully agree, Mike.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2012, 01:22:43 PM »
Yes, John. Fully agree.

BTW I know from conversations with others whilst in Plakias last year (no names mentioned) that some thought Sue and I were daft for paying more to travel independently rather than taking a more attractively priced Olympic package and no doubt there are those who think you are daft for paying for accomodation with your Olympic package and then paying again to stay at Stella's, but we both know we have our good reasons. You pays your money and you takes your choice:-)
Yes, you are right that the big problem with Olympic is the extremely limited selection of accommodation.

From what I remember of John R's plans for 2012, he actually saved money even though he wasn't using his Olympic accommodation owing to the fact he was not having the expense of car hire for the days he wouldn't need it. Also, the car journey back to the airport can be stressful as you know that if anything delays you and you miss the flight it will cost you a lot of money.

Mike

Offline Mark12345

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2012, 10:15:47 PM »
Did you know Prince Harry is visiting this Sept . Joke . Read the news tonight Weds 22nd
Well my friends
SEPT looms . Haleluiah !
This conversation has changed somewhat from when I started it.
Thank you for all that have viewed this thread . As an Englishman all I can say is Bloody Amazing !
And thank you for all that have contributed
No one has come back with a positive answer to my original question .
 So
It's
On
Your
Marks
Get set
Go !
May the best man / woman win
On getting a sun bed !
God Bless
See you on the Beach !
Yassas

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2012, 09:40:34 PM »
OK. Here is a positive answer to your original question.  For the first time since starting to come to Plakias I have been using the sunbeds.  (Need the shade provided by the umbrellas as part of my new tanning plan. ;D)  I usually arrive at the beach between 1000 and 1100 hrs. and there is always plenty of choice.  I don't know what it'll be like in September when, I understand, the resort gets very busy, but for the time being everything is rosy.  BTW the post by Bertie about the new attendant is spot on.  Occasionally he even forgets to collect the money which is brill!

Noopsy 
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Mark12345

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2012, 08:29:51 PM »
Thanks for the update . Will try to update next week when I'm Plakias myself .

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2012, 05:40:08 PM »
Before you arrive next week, here is the latest situation.  I arrived at the 'far end' today at about 1050, and to my amazement found that it was almost completely full.  No towels - actual bodies on beds.  By comparison, only one bed was in use at the Paligremnos site, and there couldn't have been more than about a dozen or so people on the rest of the beach.  I managed to 'bag' the last single bed.  Virtually everybody was 'clothes-optional'. 
When I left in the afternoon, about a third of the Paligremnos site was occupied, and the rest of the beach was still pretty deserted.  The 'far end' was chockers, and that includes the space under the tamarind tree.  Seems like September will indeed be busy - luckily, that won't affect me (I'm leaving soon).
It seems to me that rather than dreaming up ways of making the 'far end' more family (i.e. textile)-friendly (which it already is), the local authorities should be looking to extend it and improve facilities for those who are clearly bringing in the money: the 'clothes-optional' community.

Noopsy 
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2012, 08:52:38 PM »
Sorry, Noopsy. As others have already said, the far end is far from family friendly unless you like naked fellow holidaymakers,young and old, on the beach next to you. As for extending it for the latter, that hardly makes any sense. I'd be very surprised if "normal" visitors to Plakias don't bring more income to the village than the unclothed ones.

Offline Rogataber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2012, 09:12:37 PM »
Reply to: Regulars since 1992

"Sorry, Noopsy. As others have already said, the far end is far from family friendly unless you like naked fellow holidaymakers,young and old, on the beach next to you. As for extending it for the latter, that hardly makes any sense. I'd be very surprised if "normal" visitors to Plakias don't bring more income to the village than the unclothed ones."

Sorry, this is simply RUBBISH! You have NO evidence as to the breakdown of income that Plakias derives from either clothed or unclothed customers!

There are simply acres of beach for clothed customers with a small amount of area set aside for the unclothed. My wife & I have been going to Plakias since around 1980 and this has always been the case. The "far end" should not be described as "the best part of the beach" - it ain't!

There are simply millions of beaches for the clothed in Greece but a vanishingly small number of options for the unclothed.

If you and "Sunny Jim" don't like it - go SOMEWHERE ELSE - there are many options available.

However, I can't get over the feeling that by sending this message, I am in fact FEEDING THE TROLLS!

Rogataber

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2012, 10:18:23 PM »
I won't lower myself to suggesting that your above post is rubbish, but I would politely suggest that you have no evidence either as to whether naked beachgoers bring more income to Plakias than normal visitors. However, I won't even respond to your silly reference to trolls. We are just regular visitors to Plakias over the last 20 years who prefer to keep our clothes on, like so many other visitors. Anyway, now bored with the subject as sadly things clearly aren't going to change, so will leave it at that. End of story.

Offline John Gloucester

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2012, 11:33:10 PM »
Rogataber,
                 You are 100% correct none of us know which group (clothed or un-clothed ) of regular visitors bring the greatest amont of cash to Plakias. One thing is certain, Plakias Business owners need both, The beach is large enough for both, we naturists only use a small percentage of the beach, all I am asking is please provide enough Sun Beds at the Far End for the naturists, especially when it appears there are far more Sun Beds provided for the clothed visitors than are actually needed, as my wife and I have never seen them full on any other section of the beach.

The problem of the shortage of Sun Beds at the Far End did not exist until last year, whatever the reason regarding the licencing for the number of Sun Beds on this section of the beach, it needs to be sorted out before a significant number of regular September naturist visitors start going elsewhere!

Offline nora

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2012, 08:20:10 AM »
Chill out everyone - what is this obsession with sunbeds?

I am a 1st timer to Plakias arriving on 25th September and I have really enjoyed this forum.

These posts are puzzling me and I can only think that there is something I am missing.

Do you need a sunbed  because its often windy in Plakias so the sand gets everywhere?

I like nothing better than placing my towel on a quiet beach away from the noise of other people - sounds like there will be plenty of space for those who are not naturists and do not need a sunbed.

Is this right and will I be able to do this in Plakias?

Best wishes
Nora x