Author Topic: NEW TOPIC  (Read 3128 times)

Offline daza

• Say "Hello" Theo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« on: August 13, 2013, 10:43:49 AM »
Can anybody think of something new to discuss - I've read just about everything and there's nothing new to read these last couple of days. I know - how many shooting stars/meteorites/meteors/fireballs did you see last night - I counted Twelve "GOOD" ones in the hour between 10pm and 11pm (BST)- hardly 2 per minute I know but not a bad tally.

Offline Plakias Lover

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: NEW TOPIC
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 01:34:51 PM »
Did not see any last night, here in North Yorkshire it was still a bit overcast at 10.00pm when I went to bed, Hubbie said he had stood for a while at about 1am after sky had cleared but he did not see any either.

However, (and back on subject), a few years ago we were travelling to Plakias and had arrived after dark. 

We were driving through the Kourtaliotis Gorge about 22.00 enroute to Plakias and decided to stop to admire the stars without any background light pollution.  They were absolutely spectacular and we stood awestruck for at least 10 minutes. All of a sudden (and we had not been drinking), a bright light appeared to hover over the edge of the canyon and float on downwards for a couple of minutes! We were dumbfounded and unless there was someone "lamping" right up in the gorge, which is highly unlikely, to this day we have not been able to explain it - spooky or what??

This another reason we love staying at Horzon Beach Hotel - on the walk back we always stargaze, there is a spot on the road where the street lights do not reach and you get fantastic views of the Milky Way, particularly on moonless nights. We never tire of it no matter how many times we go and it makes you realise just how small and insubstantial we all are.

Offline Yvonne

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 07:25:32 PM »
Couldn't agree more.  Even when the lights fail in Plak, it is such a pleasure to look at the stars.
Yvonne

Offline triton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 11:57:36 AM »
Did not see any last night, here in North Yorkshire it was still a bit overcast at 10.00pm when I went to bed, Hubbie said he had stood for a while at about 1am after sky had cleared but he did not see any either.

However, (and back on subject), a few years ago we were travelling to Plakias and had arrived after dark. 

We were driving through the Kourtaliotis Gorge about 22.00 enroute to Plakias and decided to stop to admire the stars without any background light pollution.  They were absolutely spectacular and we stood awestruck for at least 10 minutes. All of a sudden (and we had not been drinking), a bright light appeared to hover over the edge of the canyon and float on downwards for a couple of minutes! We were dumbfounded and unless there was someone "lamping" right up in the gorge, which is highly unlikely, to this day we have not been able to explain it - spooky or what??

This another reason we love staying at Horzon Beach Hotel - on the walk back we always stargaze, there is a spot on the road where the street lights do not reach and you get fantastic views of the Milky Way, particularly on moonless nights. We never tire of it no matter how many times we go and it makes you realise just how small and insubstantial we all are.

We are also in North Yorkshire and didn't see any either.

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 06:15:19 PM »
Astronomy has my geeky hobby for decades and the dark skies above Plakias are a real attraction. I have taken large binoculars and small telescopes on many occasions. Have probably had some funny looks when hanging around on the beach at midnight but there we are. Too dark to have seen them!

However, just looking up at the dark skies and the thousands of stars that are visible to the naked eye against a velvet-black sky is a real treat, compared to the washed-out, light-polluted views that I have here in the South-East, where maybe a couple of dozen bright starts are visible.

Anyone fancy forming a Plakias Astronomy Society?

Richard

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 06:41:30 PM »
Astronomy has my geeky hobby for decades and the dark skies above Plakias are a real attraction. I have taken large binoculars and small telescopes on many occasions. Have probably had some funny looks when hanging around on the beach at midnight but there we are. Too dark to have seen them!

However, just looking up at the dark skies and the thousands of stars that are visible to the naked eye against a velvet-black sky is a real treat, compared to the washed-out, light-polluted views that I have here in the South-East, where maybe a couple of dozen bright starts are visible.

Anyone fancy forming a Plakias Astronomy Society?

Richard

I'll join you in that society! we have friends who live between Asomatos and Mythios so at night there is very little local light pollution and the stars are amazing.

Tony
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)