Author Topic: Property in plakias  (Read 3823 times)

Offline jb712

• View Profile
    • Email
Property in plakias
« on: August 14, 2014, 12:26:57 PM »
Hi all. My husband and I love plakias. We even got married here in 2012. We are interested in buying a second home property here, we quite liked plakia Panorama estate, and wondered on people's opinions on purchasing propertyat ppanorama and plakias its self. Any advice would be appreciated, as this is new ground for us MMany thanks in advance.

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Property in plakias
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 03:25:19 PM »
We were thinking of doing something similar but, after years of chatting with the locals in the area, with ex pats who are doing the same and with colleagues who have 'property' in Crete, the advice seems to be to negotiate a long lease/rent rather than buying. This is partly because of the complexities of ownership in Crete, partly because of the current financial situation and the potential risks of interest rates etc etc and devaluation and, partly, because some great deals can be worked out. A friend's Mum, for example, was offered and accepted a traditional village home just south of Rethymnon for e3000 euros for a 12 month agreement. Please don't take this all as gospel as it is only what we have found out and been advised but it is worth asking for some alternative solutions. Guess it depends what you are looking for and for how long. Good luck anyway !

Offline jb712

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 09:57:07 AM »
Many thanks for your advice. Property on the panorama complex is also very expensive. €300,000 for a unit which seems quite high to us. We will do our homework and let u know!

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 10:46:41 AM »
Good luck.......as you probably know there were/are some concerns about the role of Eastern Block developers in Plakias's future. Again, given the current global scenario I would be careful.....that's not to say you wouldn't get a perfectly reasonable deal but, again, I have worked in and with the Russian system and all I can say is that rules change with no notice or explanation. Just don't get caught out.

Stick of Rock

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 10:52:09 AM »
Many years ago we had the same idea
We decided that before deciding where to buy we would take a year long rent in the area
In looking for a place we met many delightful Brits living (and working) in Plakias
The library is a great place to meet these people ... also Joe's bar (Nufero on the front)
In the end we decided against the move but wouldn't have missed the experience :)
I wish you well !

Offline jerichrome

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 03:25:09 PM »
Try the people of domisi, we are thinking of buying a villa on the island to, but more in the region of Rethimno, due to the fact that in wintertime, or if we get older there is more in the surroundings. Domisi has an office in Plakias, we just found out when we passed it yesterday. It's next to the Anso travel agency on the first floor in the midlle.

Offline michaelj

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 05:57:35 PM »
Hello JB,
My Wife and I have a place in Plakias Panorama and have done since they were built most of the owners bought of plan ,So here is the lowdown,
We are a pretty mixed bunch mainly Scandivaian (Norwegan,Swedish a few Danes, Great crowd good neighbours quiet   and civilised .Some Britts maby 6/7 some Germans again great neiboursand we jog along just fine
Forget the 300,000 euros price tag thats just day dreams by a few deluded owners offer them 50 grand less you could have a deal,  but for half that you can buy great place that works as a holiday home ( which you can now let out legally with the right licence) and still use in the winter  stoves. ,underfloor heating .any more info give us a call on 07838114975 or pop up and see us any time after the 30th August in Plakias for 2 months from then
hoped this has helped
Regards
Michael J

Offline jb712

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 11:04:42 AM »
Again, thanks for all the info. There is a possibility we will be there same time as as you Michael, so may give you a call. Thabks again