Author Topic: Worrying Development  (Read 91474 times)

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2008, 08:56:53 AM »
Quote from: dimitri
George are you stalking me?
If you happen to be the blond with the long legs and large assets..... might be!!  

george g...

Offline dimitri

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Worrying Development
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2008, 03:12:05 PM »
Quote from: George
George are you stalking me?
If you happen to be the blond with the long legs and large assets..... might be!!  

george g...
sorry mate it was the george from brighton i was talking about.

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2008, 08:44:36 PM »
Ahh yes i remember it well,a small footpath to the beach the turtles still came then.Those were the days,locals still not too jaded to think only of the money.Happy days indeed,Damnoni was beutifull then,how things change.Get used to it!Before you and yours arrived these people had nothing,poverty was very real.Only a generation ago they had nothing but hard work and damm all to show for it.Even now only a handfull of people make the real money and very few of the ordinary locals get rich.The wages are shit the hours long and the season short.You guys fly in and blow more money in a week than most of them make in a month or two.I lived and worked for tradesmans wages when i was there,i earn a lot more here than i could dream of on Crete.Good luck to them they only want what we have,its not an adventure park for tourists its someone else"s home.They dont see what you see,if you were born and live there the tourists are like a shoal of salmon,to be used every year to keep the wolf from the door.
Dont stay in a hotel,rent room is better and cheaper,go to the mountain villages and spend money,help the people who need it.
Dont buy an over priced villa.
Do buy a red pick up truck
Do grow a big moustache
Do wear a black leather jacket

Dimitri,

Do you remember the plank of wood over the stream on the way to Damnoni? The farmer used to lift it up to stop his sheep (or goats) crossing the stream.

Greecemad

Offline steven

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://members.ziggo.nl/steefbez/
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2008, 03:11:06 PM »
Last week i took some pics of the building site, it's not really that bad.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 03:18:22 PM by steven »
No trees were killed in the posting of this message but a large number of electrons became terribly excited.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2008, 03:12:31 PM »
Quote from: steven
Last week i took some pics of the building site, it's not really that bad.
I totally agree with you Steven, I've been saying this all along these topics. I was there last week and got up high over the two developments. They are a bit of a blot, but the village hasn't been changed any by it's new neighbours. Even the new harbour looks good!

When I get my head screwed back on after the XL scenario experience, I'll do a report as always, hopefully next week! Heard there was a bit of concern for me, Thanks all!!

george g...XX

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2008, 03:45:10 PM »
Yes I thought you were going to have to move into one of the new appartments !!

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2008, 04:18:14 PM »
Quote from: Barny
Yes I thought you were going to have to move into one of the new appartments !!

Barny.
The one's at the top of the hill look like they're finished, just a bit of landscaping to do and get the road sorted. But they are all empty at the moment, so that was always an alternative Barny!

Evidently, the new development as it stands at the moment took two months, from nothing to what it is now!

george g...

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2008, 10:58:53 AM »
here's another taken from above the Plakias Bay

chris

Offline Davos

• MSN Messenger - plakias@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://davosplakias.spaces.live.com/default.aspx
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2008, 01:00:02 PM »
Hi
I will be going in 09 but after 18 years of going to Plakias I think this will be the last time. Sorry to say but may be time to move on.
Smile you are in Plakias. :)

Offline Chas

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2008, 12:53:11 PM »
Although there was still some work being done last week, I can't help wondering how much longer it will continue with the current financial state of the world.

The big worry for the future is that there will be large numbers of part-built complexes, not just in Plakias but all over the Greek islands.
Chas

Stupidity is its own reward.

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2008, 03:58:56 PM »
Quote from: Chas
Although there was still some work being done last week, I can't help wondering how much longer it will continue with the current financial state of the world.

The big worry for the future is that there will be large numbers of part-built complexes, not just in Plakias but all over the Greek islands.

And similarly Cyprus. There are developments everywhere, not just on the coast, all financed on borrowings. I wouldn't keep any savings with a Cypriot bank right now.

Offline Chas

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #116 on: November 10, 2008, 12:40:28 PM »

The Manchester (Sale) based company that was marketing the properties (see the earlier post from their representative) has stopped trading .... this is the website homepage:

Chas

Stupidity is its own reward.

Offline dimitri

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Worrying Development
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2008, 03:03:19 PM »
just looked at the pics of the new development,noooooooooooooooooooo,a vision of hell or what?Glad i moved out of the cave,never get any rest with all that work going on.

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2008, 09:34:53 PM »
just looked at the pics of the new development,noooooooooooooooooooo,a vision of hell or what?Glad i moved out of the cave,never get any rest with all that work going on.

I think we've got one more year before the new developments have the potential to change the Plakias we've all grown to love. If Plakias gets too busy, there's always Souda just down the road. There's really no shortage of quiet places to stay so I'm sure we will be returning to the area for many years to come.

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2008, 09:32:47 AM »
Now I'm not a Chartered Accountant, so this may be 2+2=5 ..... but "Mitchell Charlesworth" have a link on their website for a "Solvency Check", so I wonder if they are acting as Insolvency Practitioners or Receivers for "Fastro".

i would think so...

oh dear! now you really do wonder if this process will be repeated in other north european countries

Whatever, I don't think Harribobs is going to get any royalties for the (unauthorised) use of his copyrighted pictures!

damn i'll just have to wait for my £25m from Nigeria