login

Author Topic: Lysseos  (Read 37331 times)

Offline roger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Lysseos
« on: August 02, 2006, 06:45:04 PM »
Could anyone who has been to Plakias recently and , like me , regards the Lysseos  as a really good restaurant , help to whet my appetite . Is the food there as good as ever ? Any notgable additions to the menu or just the usual excellent dishes - the roasts , lamb in the oven , pork afelia , chicken skordata , duck a l'orange , and above all , kleftiko - by far the best kleftiko i have had because it is the Cypriot  version and not the Greek one = the chef is a Cypriot
Three weeks tonight and I will be sampling  my first meal there = and be spoilt for choice
 roger

Offline jaycy

• View Profile
    • Email
Lysseos
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 08:47:46 PM »
Quote from: roger
Could anyone who has been to Plakias recently and , like me , regards the Lysseos  as a really good restaurant , help to whet my appetite . Is the food there as good as ever ? Any notgable additions to the menu or just the usual excellent dishes - the roasts , lamb in the oven , pork afelia , chicken skordata , duck a l'orange , and above all , kleftiko - by far the best kleftiko i have had because it is the Cypriot  version and not the Greek one = the chef is a Cypriot
Three weeks tonight and I will be sampling  my first meal there = and be spoilt for choice
 roger

Hi Roger if the food is as good as you say my Wife and I will probably see you in the Lysseos when you arrive.
Are you travelling alone or accompanied?
We arrive on the 15th and rather late in the evening I suspect.
Regards
John

Offline ems

• View Profile
Lysseos
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 05:03:51 PM »
[quote name='jaycy' date='Aug 4 2006, 07:47 PM' post='7007']
[quote name='roger' post='6980' date='Aug 2 2006, 06:45 PM']
 roger
[/quote]

We got back from Plakias this week... Lysseos was definately our fave place to eat. Their baby goat & rabbit in wine is also very good!

Offline Uli

• ICQ Messenger - 64646994
    • AOL Instant Messenger - UliBerlin
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lysseos
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 07:23:01 AM »
Quote from: roger
 roger

I have been to Lysseios a few weeks ago - and I loved it again.  
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 07:23:39 AM by Uli »

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Lysseos
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 02:28:33 PM »
my turn to be the dissenting voice on this thread    (sorry uli, ems and roger), although i must say mandy really likes Lysseos, i don't rate it, i find the portion sizes too small, the food a little boring and the (female) staff indifferent to unfriendly

*chris heads back down the trench*

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Lysseos
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 02:41:41 PM »
We went for the first time last year and we rated it average. Not writing it off after one go though, will try it again this year.

Any dishes I should try in particular?

Paul

Quote from: harribobs
my turn to be the dissenting voice on this thread    (sorry uli, ems and roger), although i must say mandy really likes Lysseos, i don't rate it, i find the portion sizes too small, the food a little boring and the (female) staff indifferent to unfriendly

*chris heads back down the trench*

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.compage.com
    • Email
Lysseos
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 03:55:29 PM »
Ploppy, try the ones mentioned earlier in this thread, particularly kleftiko and pork afelia.
John Page

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Lysseos
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 04:01:24 PM »
OK cheers John. Forgive me my laziness in not reading the rest of the thread  

Quote from: compage
Ploppy, try the ones mentioned earlier in this thread, particularly kleftiko and pork afelia.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lysseos
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 08:13:52 AM »
Quote from: compage
I'll second that!
I even tried the baby goat last year and it was superb, never had a bad meal in there.

Sorry Chris, the female staff ie Lito is a wonderful lady, as is Christina in Harakas, always had time for a chat and a laugh, perhaps we just 'clicked'  

george g...

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
Lysseos
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 02:27:46 PM »
Lysseos is one of the places we eat at very frequently.
The food is always hot and cooked to perfection - my favourite being the smoked pork cutlet. I agree with George about Lito too - she rules the place with a first of iron, speaks to most customers in their own language, and is always happy to tell you about the dishes and make suggestions. Her wicked sense of humour makes the place special!
John - Ostraco

Offline ian s

• View Profile
Lysseos
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 03:08:05 PM »
Quote from: ostraco
The food is always hot and cooked to perfection - my favourite being the smoked pork cutlet. I agree with George about Lito too - she rules the place with a first of iron, speaks to most customers in their own language, and is always happy to tell you about the dishes and make suggestions. Her wicked sense of humour makes the place special!

Quote from: ian s
Quote from: ostraco
Have just spent the last 14 nights in Lysseos and managed a different main course every night - every one deliciousl - don't know how many litres of wine I've consumed there over the last 18 years or so.  As you say Lito is very special lady with a wicked sense of humour.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lysseos
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 12:19:20 PM »
I only had one disappointment this year and unfortunately it was at the Lysseous. I usually adore the kleftico there and always get my nose ready when opening the foil. It just didn't happen for me this year. Saying that everything else was to it's usual perfection, and Lito her usual self.

Best meal overal and memorable, got to be the Spicey Pork Meze at Medusa, sensational!

george g...

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lysseos
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 03:57:24 PM »
Quote from: George
I only had one disappointment this year and unfortunately it was at the Lysseous. I usually adore the kleftico there and always get my nose ready when opening the foil. It just didn't happen for me this year. Saying that everything else was to it's usual perfection, and Lito her usual self.

Best meal overal and memorable, got to be the Spicey Pork Meze at Medusa, sensational!

george g...

I had the kleftiko at the Lysseos also. Having read that this was Cypriot style on the Forum, I was not surprised it was not the same as the Greek cooking I am used to, but had no reference point for comparison. The impression I had was it lacked the garlic hammer blow of the Greek version, and so, seemed a little bland.

Agree that overall the Lysseos food is blinding.

Mike

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lysseos
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 09:11:03 PM »
On recent visits to Plakias (last was June 2005), I've rarely eaten anywhere else but Lysseos. The food's always great, and Lito is superb at languages.

Somehow they seem to have less custom than they used to. I can remember years when they used to pack more tables in and they were full. I notice that they still have gas lanterns - I can remember when they had to be used fairly regular - power cuts were a feature of going to Greek islands.

Greecemad

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lysseos
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 08:26:37 AM »
Quote from: Greecemad
I can remember when they had to be used fairly regular - power cuts were a feature of going to Greek islands.

Greecemad
Ah the good old days, I remember when you didn't go out out at night without a torch.
There were a couple of power cuts while I was there this year and the gas lamps were utilised in the Lysseos. The days of romantic candles are well gone.

george g...