login

Author Topic: Plakias outside the normal season  (Read 2450 times)

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Plakias outside the normal season
« on: August 25, 2004, 01:26:48 PM »
The normal season for UK visitors is early May - mid/late October. Does anyone have experience of Plakias outside these months? There have been occasional references to it in the forum but nothing substantial I think.

On the first of my 26 visits to Greece I learned that Rhodes, the driest place in Greece, experiences an annual rainfall very similar to London. However, London's is distributed throughout the year whereas Rhodes gets virtually none in the summer 6 months. This must mean that their winter period is twice as wet as London (in terms of total amount anyway; not necessarily the same as the number of wet days). Therefore, all other parts of Greece are even more substantially wetter than the south of the UK in winter, explaining why some islands to the north and west of Greece are so lush in spring. Plakias presumably has a climate not significantly different from Rhodes.

To my knowledge, no UK tour operator features any part of Greece in its winter programme, so those that go must book independently. I think I read in a book sometime that the sea at the south coast of Crete is warm enough for swimming most of the year.

Are there many tavernas open outside the normal season? In some of the resorts I have visited I have been told that they virtually shut down in winter as most of the property owners live elsewhere. I would not think this applies in a big way to Plakias, but could be wrong.

I would be interested to hear from those with experience of Plakias out of season.

Mike

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 01:46:30 PM »
we are usually in Crete in may and sometimes August/September ( WooHoo! roll on next tuesday!) so i can't really comment on the out of season weather but.....

when we are there in May I find the sea very cold and can't stay in it too long, in fact i have a shortie wet suit that i take with me for snorkeling. I know it would be too cold for me in the off season

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 11:54:42 PM »
Right Harribobs - much prefer the September sea temperatures!

As the sea is fairly slow to cool, I guess you could swim well into 'winter' - I have heard many tales of Plakias Brits swimming on Christmas Day!
John - Ostraco