login

Author Topic: Plakias far end v Souda  (Read 8459 times)

Offline draper10

• View Profile
    • Email
Plakias far end v Souda
« on: June 26, 2013, 10:39:08 AM »
Sat here on Souda on our last day in Plakias. Home tomorrow to cold wet Lancashire! Only used Plakias far end once this time and wasn't greatly impressed for some reason. Souda however has been great. This morning the Plakias end of the beach including the sun bedsis pretty much entirely nude but some days it has been othing optional with everyone seeming very comfkrtable. Off tk the taverna for lunch soon. Not Gallini but the other one. Delfino I think. Will confirm.

Offline draper10

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Plakias far end v Souda
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 12:05:17 PM »
Correctio. Delfini. Cretan salad & stuffed aubergine. Ace!

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 05:22:48 PM »
 ;) Shhh! They may all want to go and make it too busy for Souda beach lovers  :)
Will be awaiting your thoughts on the pros and cons of both beaches.
Thank you for the name of the other Taverna. Did you find the Galini prices a bit steep? They were reasonable last year.
Galini in the early years and after the demise of Geronimo (anyone here remember Geronimo's)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 06:52:20 PM by Lampyland »

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 06:15:40 PM »
 Sorry if I have gone off subject, a little more about Souda area, it is an important wildlife area because of the fresh water that flows through the valley and ends in lush Palm trees.
There is an abandoned village just inland and more ruins as you climb towards Sellia/Selia village.
No Sand dunes here like at Paligremnos but a very interesting area.
If you follow the dirt track heading west out of Souda beach  Plakias, you will meet several small nice beaches. These are Kokkinos Volakas, Stavri, Filadelfi, Parahoristra, Agios Antonios, Hohlakas and Klimata. The first beach, Kokkinos Volakas, is a remote pebbly beach with quite rocky seabed, ideal for snorkeling and spear fishing. Its name means Red Rock in Cretan dialect and is taken after the reddish rock on the east part of the beach. Beside Kokkinos Volakas Rock there is a very small pebbly beach with a small cave, ideal for camping. Next to the beach there is a small cluster of Cretan Date palm trees.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 06:57:17 PM by Lampyland »

Offline Ian+?

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 07:27:21 PM »
The track heading out west from Souda beach...where does it start?...from the beach itself or by the taverna. Several times have wanted to wander in that direction, but never even investigated starting to do it. The photos above have inspired my resolve to get on and go for it this year.

Souda may be is less popular because the water always seems so much cooler? because of the water depth and rocky bottom. But as mentioned by Lampyland, I have seen more sea (wild) life here than any other local beach excepting Schinaria.

Lovely beach.

Oh, and thanks Draper, for sharing with us all a few minutes of each of your days over the last weeks...its been good to read your updates.

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 08:06:16 PM »
I walked to Geronimo s back in 1989. So nice and peaceful.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 08:17:27 PM »
There is a right turn uphill just by the Delfini taverna take that and follow it up take the left at the first fork in the road follow that and take another left.
Very quickly you will have buildings on your right and a track/road to your left. Take the left turn onto the track and you are on your way.

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 08:18:46 PM »
I walked to Geronimo s back in 1989. So nice and peaceful.
Great memories, so happy others remember it.

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 07:11:30 PM »
I went over to Souda once when it was blowing a hurricane in Plakias.  I didn't like it as much as the far end:  it felt cramped, there was a higher proportion of textiles, the sea bed at the water's edge was stony, and there didn't seem to be a bar at which I could slake my thirst at noon.  So I, for one, will only go there again if it is very windy in Plakias.

Nούψη
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 08:29:29 PM »
I haven't tried Souda for several years - might give it a go this year if weather conditions are not ideal.
John - Ostraco

Offline draper10

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 09:42:42 PM »
Sorry you didn't like it Noopsy. Still... each to his own.

Offline covboy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 05:35:42 PM »
VERY windy today. Plakias beach not really an option so we did some exploring in the car and then went to Souda about 5pm. Our first time there and we will go back. I don't know what previous years have been like but Plakias has had an influx of Russians and East Europeans who give the beach at Plakias a very tacky feel. Most of them arrive by bus on a day trip and don't go up to the far end but all the same. Not nice. Souda has a much nicer feel to it and the beach is so clean.
Then we had a drink at the Delfini taverna. We were the only people there which was a shame because it is really nice.

Offline draper10

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 07:45:28 PM »
Re the beaches beyond Souda. It looks like someone has bought the land for building and then not built anything. The tracks down to the small beaches were all fenced off when we walked round the headland.

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 10:14:15 PM »
I went over to Souda once when it was blowing a hurricane in Plakias.  I didn't like it as much as the far end:  it felt cramped, there was a higher proportion of textiles, the sea bed at the water's edge was stony, and there didn't seem to be a bar at which I could slake my thirst at noon.  So I, for one, will only go there again if it is very windy in Plakias.

Nούψη

I think it depends a lot on the time of year.  We first went to Souda when we were in Plakias in May one year.  Large parts of the "near" end were naturist, including the sun beds.  Since then we have been going to Plakias in August, overlapping with Noopsy (hello Noopsy).  In August the only naturist areas at Souda are the little areas in the rocks.  One time I felt that it was inappropriate to go into the sea without putting on swimwear, due to being the only naturists there.  It was still pretty windy even at Souda, and perhaps the reason the near end  was so crowded was that there was a sandstorm blowing through the area near the tavernas.   We tend to stick with Plakias for an early morning swim and sandblast, or if it is really windy, explore the area or relax in a bar.

Looking forward to Plakias in August, with or without complimentary exfoliation.

Arnaki

Offline draper10

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 09:10:11 AM »
This looks like another reason for going to Plakias in June, along with less wind, lower cost, less people! Actually the nicest beach was probably Shinaria but only a very small naturist area at the left hand corner facing the sea. Damnoni, of course, is beautiful but now a complete non-starter for naturists and Micro Amoudi I've always found just too crowded. Turn round too quick and you don't know what you might run in to :o . Found a lovely little beach below the Sunrise Taverna at Frangokastello last year (courtesy of Cap'n Barefoot's guide), but never got there this year 'cos Souda was so nice!