login

Author Topic: On the cheap  (Read 6751 times)

Offline cornucopia

• View Profile
On the cheap
« on: June 21, 2008, 04:11:48 PM »
Right. There's a credit crunch. My annual pay rise was a fraction of the inflation rate and I wasn't exactly minted in the first place.

I'm skint. I can't afford to go to Plakias this year. However, I NEED to go to Plakias this year for my own spiritual well-being and to satisfy my raki addiction.

I have a couple of weeks off in mid-September and I'm quite prepared to take absurdly anti-social flight times and travel about on the local bus, involving spending several hours hanging about at the rather depressing bus station in Rethimnon.

What I'm asking is how much is the cheapest room in Plak and where would I find it? I'm planning on turning up with nothing booked and just looking round. I'll be on my own so on past experience I'll have to pay about three-quarters of the price of a double room to have it to myself. Where should I look? Last time I stayed in Despina's place just beyond the harbour and it was about 30-odd euros a night but that was right on the sea front with a fantastic view. I'm guessing there are probably cheaper places in the back streets with no kitchen and a view overlooking a cess pit. That would be fine by me, so long as it's cheap.

Anybody got any suggestions?

(P.S. I was going to post a nice pic to show why I NEED to go back to Plak this year but it wouldn't upload - any idea how I go about making it small enough without having Photoshop or something?)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 04:26:41 PM by cornucopia »

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
On the cheap
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 05:03:10 PM »
You can open photos with good old Paint, then from the Image menu, select the Stretch/Skew option. You can then set, say 50% stretching to reduce the no. of pixels. Good luck in planning your budget holiday.

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
On the cheap
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 06:34:14 PM »
plakias youth hostel!!

click here!

send me the pic if you want and i'll reduce it or download 'irfanview' a free but excellent editing program!

irfanview

chris

Offline cornucopia

• View Profile
On the cheap
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 07:18:32 PM »
Youth Hostel? I'm 43...

Paint? Haven't used it for about 15 years but hey!

Offline cornucopia

• View Profile
On the cheap
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 07:29:00 PM »
Another couple of piccies now I know how to do it. I suppose I could just sleep on the beach if I have to...

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
On the cheap
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 12:44:27 AM »
looking at the youth hostel pics, you'll be in the young end !

Offline cornucopia

• View Profile
On the cheap
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 11:14:19 AM »
Quote from: harribobs
looking at the youth hostel pics, you'll be in the young end !

Blimey, you're right! I'm not entirely sure I want to be in some communal place where everyone's having a singalong to Vera Lynn records and swapping stories about their lumbago but at 9 euros a night it may be an option.

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
On the cheap
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 04:11:03 PM »
Quote from: cornucopia
What I'm asking is how much is the cheapest room in Plak and where would I find it? I'm planning on turning up with nothing booked and just looking round. I'll be on my own so on past experience I'll have to pay about three-quarters of the price of a double room to have it to myself. Where should I look? Last time I stayed in Despina's place just beyond the harbour and it was about 30-odd euros a night but that was right on the sea front with a fantastic view. I'm guessing there are probably cheaper places in the back streets with no kitchen and a view overlooking a cess pit. That would be fine by me, so long as it's cheap.

If you just turn up, I would have thought you'll find something for 25 euro, if not less than that. I stayed at Pension Kyriakos last June for that price and had a balcony with a (partial) view of the sea.

Greecemad

Offline cornucopia

• View Profile
On the cheap
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 04:58:01 PM »
Quote from: Greecemad
If you just turn up, I would have thought you'll find something for 25 euro, if not less than that. I stayed at Pension Kyriakos last June for that price and had a balcony with a (partial) view of the sea.

Greecemad

25 a day or maybe less? I can just about do that.

Payday Wednesday, flights booked by Thursday...

Oh and another one - I know you've all seen it all before but isn't Plakias great?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 05:05:42 PM by cornucopia »

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
On the cheap
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 06:56:57 PM »
Yes - we have seen it all before   but never get tired of it   I'm looking forward to adding to our collection of Plakias sunset photos in September. Have a great holiday  

Offline micheledaniele

• MSN Messenger - michele_steyls@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
On the cheap
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 12:31:01 PM »
Hello,

What a good idea to come back in Plakias (like most people I meet here I must say).
Well if you don't mind dealing your room with other people you can try the Youth Hostel hold by friends of mine I think it's now 9 Euros the night ...
Or of course which is very nice you can have a room at Lamon in front of the sea (must be between 20-25 Euros the room).  This is a price per single appartment and you can be until 4 in an appartment so it would be even cheaper per person if you are a few friends ....

I know also the Panorama which is a little upon the hill 5 minutes from harbour with splendid view about same price ...

If you need other information, let me know I now live here since 2 years.

Offline cornucopia

• View Profile
On the cheap
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »
Well I've done the deed.

I'm going to be at Nikos Kazantsakis at 3.35am on September 6th, with nothing but a suitcase and a fistful of travellers cheques.

Can't wait (but don't tell my bank manager).

Offline Rodger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
On the cheap
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 11:13:28 AM »
Quote from: Greecemad
Quote from: cornucopia

Greecemad
I just stayed at Kyriakos, which has become my regular stand-by in Plak, and it was 30 euro a night in mid-July.  No doubt you would get a better price in September.  I really don't know if there still are basic, dirt-cheap rooms in Plakias, they all now seem to come with at least a fridge and ensuite shower/WC as standard.  Gone are the days when little old ladies would line up at the bus-stop to drag you off to a domatio in their family home for 200 drachmas a night.