login

Author Topic: Cell Phone Coverage  (Read 7051 times)

Offline Jeff Winchell

• View Profile
    • http://winchell.org
    • Email
Cell Phone Coverage
« on: February 26, 2005, 10:18:08 PM »
I was checking with my carrier (T-Mobile USA/Deutsche Telekom) and it seems that I might be able to get coverage on my T-Mobile phone (for emergency use). But it's unclear from their tiny coverage maps of their affiliated partners in Crete.

Does anyone know if any of these carriers have good cell coverage in and around Plakias (and ideally in Chania/Heraklion/Rethymno depending on how I get between Crete and Athens airport)?

The companies are

Vodafone Greece(Panafon)
COSMOTE/C-Ote
TIM Greece (TeleStet. STET Hellas)

Thank you.

Jeff

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Cell Phone Coverage
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 08:08:19 AM »
I

Does anyone know if any of these carriers have good cell coverage in and around Plakias (and ideally in Chania/Heraklion/Rethymno depending on how I get between Crete and Athens airport)?

The companies are

Vodafone Greece(Panafon)
COSMOTE/C-Ote

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2867\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Cell phone coverage in Plakias and indeed nearly all Crete - even most of the very remote areas is exceptionally good. I have taken various companies chips to Plakias an all have roamed successfully with one or two of the above mentioned companies.

John R

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Cell Phone Coverage
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 01:54:48 PM »
I have definately had a good reception on COSMOTE and TIM in Plakias, both of whom have roaming agreements with my carrier.

I was checking with my carrier (T-Mobile USA/Deutsche Telekom) and it seems that I might be able to get coverage on my T-Mobile phone (for emergency use). But it's unclear from their tiny coverage maps of their affiliated partners in Crete.

The companies are

Vodafone Greece(Panafon)
COSMOTE/C-Ote

Thank you.

Jeff
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2867\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Offline sheryl

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sherylhume1
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Cell Phone Coverage
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 05:43:28 PM »
yep! no complaints from me - i've used vodaphone greece and cosmote with no probs and good signal  
sheryl

Offline Jeff Winchell

• View Profile
    • http://winchell.org
    • Email
Cell Phone Coverage
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 01:22:23 AM »
Excellent. Thanks everyone.

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Cell Phone Coverage
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 04:10:20 PM »
anyone else get their supplier changing as you move round the island?

i find you can start with (say) cosmote) next time you look it's Vodafone GR etc etc

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cell Phone Coverage
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 10:08:52 PM »
anyone else get their supplier changing as you move round the island?

i find you can start with (say) cosmote) next time you look it's Vodafone GR etc etc

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2894\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes -  I find this happening frequently. There are overlapping networks (as in UK) and when auto roaming the phone can pick on any. If you are a foreigner in the UK with a roaming phone (one with a foreign chip)  the same thing can happen in the UK.

John R

libman

Cell Phone Coverage
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 03:11:54 PM »
I took my mobile with me last year and no problem.  Was usually a choice of Cosmote or Vodafone GR in Plakias.  I used Vodafone GR mainly because I found the GPRS signal was better and was able to check my email

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cell Phone Coverage
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 01:47:23 PM »
Come on Guys, get a life, your on holiday, switch the b***** thing off as I do at Gatwick going, and on at Gatwick coming back.
george g...

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Cell Phone Coverage
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 02:08:47 PM »
Come on Guys, get a life, your on holiday, switch the b***** thing off as I do at Gatwick going, and on at Gatwick coming back.
george g...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2980\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Nice one George.

I was on Tingaki beach last May and there were that many texts flying between my partner Diane's mobile and the UK it was like being at home. This year she has promised to leave it in the apartment.

Mike

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cell Phone Coverage
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 06:02:35 PM »
george g...

When one is in the 60's and fortunate enough to still have a full quota (4) of parents around, ages range from 89 to 99, and not always in the best of health, a mobile for emergency contact is deemed essential.

John R

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cell Phone Coverage
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 09:00:23 AM »
george g...

When one is in the 60's and fortunate enough to still have a full quota (4) of parents around, ages range from 89 to 99, and not always in the best of health, a mobile for emergency contact is deemed essential.

John R
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2984\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I totally agree with you John, they do have a purpose. It's the MP users who have their phone clamped to their palms 24.7 and have to keep checking them every 10 seconds that get up my nose.

libman

Cell Phone Coverage
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 11:59:16 PM »
george g...

Come on, I only took it because it's got an alarm on it and I knew I would have to be up reeeeeeally early on my last day and didn't want to oversleep.

Offline paleo

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jim-murray.co.uk
    • Email
Cell Phone Coverage
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 11:38:45 AM »
I've got an Orange pre-pay. Last year I just went into Cosmote in Rethymnon and bought a Cosmote sim card - i think it was about 10 quid - now I just swap the sim card when i get over there (I keep the other sim card loose squashed in the case). You can buy top ups from the Plakias supermarkets. It seems much cheaper for local (Crete) calls than going thru your UK provider (I do make quite a lot of local calls). Then periodically I just swap the sim cards over to check for messages on Orange for the UK. I HAVE heard that you can get dual sim mobiles.

BTW re switching them off on holiday - 1 - my hols these days are partly planning trips - talking to builder / architect etc (sorry to mither on about this - see other posts) and 2 - the year b4 last I volunteered to be on call from where i was contracting - made about 70 quid every day for a fortnight for about 10 mins work. We're all different and this mix of work/play suits ME.

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cell Phone Coverage
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2005, 12:31:39 PM »
I've got an Orange pre-pay. Last year I just went into Cosmote in Rethymnon and bought a Cosmote sim card - i think it was about 10 quid - now I just swap the sim card when i get over there
Great idea Paleo - I try not to use my mobile abroad but when I've had to make local calls (sorting out lost luggage problems) I've hated paying the extortionate prices that the UK provider charges. One thing to think about is that some providers (maybe none of the Greek ones) disable the SIM if you don't make a call for eg. 180 days.