login

Author Topic: Worrying Development  (Read 90855 times)

Offline Xenos

• View Profile
Worrying Development
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2008, 06:51:40 PM »
Hi all,

here is a Youtube video of the site, filmed from Paligremnos balcony:

View from Paligremnos balcony

Greetings

Xenos
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 06:55:29 PM by Xenos »

Offline fraoula

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2008, 02:44:29 PM »
Hey, long time no see....

Just doing alot of catching up of the topics...
 I just wanted to add my piece on this...it's a bit of a shame that the beautiful landscape of Plakias is being blotted with 'Spain-like' developments. Okay I know places 'move on' and change over the years but I can't help thinking this new development is going to attract the type of clientele that stay in nothing but 5 star accomodation, love a beautiful secluded location ( they sound okay,I hear you say) but I book people like these on holidays all the time and they don't give a hoots whether they're in Barbados, Egypt or Crete!!  I went to a lovely little hamlet on Crete a couple of years back and that too has been bombarded with developers each wanting a little slice of paradise.  Problem is, there's not going to be anywhere left to build on at this rate and before you know it paradise turns into a bustling, cosmopolitan, urban nightmare, you only have to look at Malia ( knowing it when there were only a few buildings and lots of banana plantations). Or even worse, Benidorm!..(okay slight exageration but you get the picture...)
It'll be ten years next year since we properly stayed in Plakias ( I know, how could we stay away so long? It's been torture I'll tell ya!)  This'll sound awful and I don't like to say it but.. I hope we're not disappointed

I can't believe they're building a harbour in Souda?! That's not so bad, I can cope with that  

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2008, 02:55:29 PM »
Quote from: fraoula

I just wanted to add my piece on this...it's a bit of a shame that the beautiful landscape of Plakias is being blotted with 'Spain-like' developments. Okay I know places 'move on' and change over the years but I can't help thinking this new development is going to attract the type of clientele that stay in nothing but 5 star accomodation, love a beautiful secluded location ( they sound okay,I hear you say) but I book people like these on holidays all the time and they don't give a hoots whether they're in Barbados, Egypt or Crete!!  I went to a lovely little hamlet on Crete a couple of years back and that too has been bombarded with developers each wanting a little slice of paradise.  Problem is, there's not going to be anywhere left to build on at this rate and before you know it paradise turns into a bustling, cosmopolitan, urban nightmare, you only have to look at Malia ( knowing it when there were only a few buildings and lots of banana plantations). Or even worse, Benidorm!..(okay slight exageration but you get the picture...)
It'll be ten years next year since we properly stayed in Plakias ( I know, how could we stay away so long? It's been torture I'll tell ya!)  This'll sound awful and I don't like to say it but.. I hope we're not disappointed

I can't believe they're building a harbour in Souda?! That's not so bad, I can cope with that  
Don't worry, it's not that bad yet!! Plakias hasn't changed that much, this is only a small part of it and it's well away from the town.
I used to think that the development around Kalives and Plaka were bad but at least they are individual properties and not an 'Eldorado' like this one's going to be!

And the harbour isn't near Souda, it's just outside Plakias on the Souda road, and that's not that bad either. It's well away from town.

george g...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 02:57:49 PM by George »

Offline fraoula

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2008, 03:02:57 PM »
Thanks George,

We're actually looking at accom in Souda, which was why I mentioned the harbour, but that's okay then, at least it won't give the other half such a fright when I show him all the pictures tonight .......lol

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2008, 03:13:02 PM »
Thanks George,

We're actually looking at accom in Souda, which was why I mentioned the harbour, but that's okay then, at least it won't give the other half such a fright when I show him all the pictures tonight .......lol
Souda's fine, nothing's going on there as usual. It hasn't changed for years!!  

george g....

Offline John & Zell

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2008, 11:12:03 AM »
HEARTBREAKING for us that is the only way to decribe the new developement, already you could hear things like "OLD PLAKIAS & NEW PLAKIAS" mixed feelings amongst the locals, obviously it will be benificiant to certain people and good luck to them, but for some, like those with accomodation it coud be disasterous.
For us I'm affraid the end is in sight no more our beloved Plakias.
John & Zell

alan

Worrying Development
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2008, 09:10:25 PM »
I too am dreading it.After 15 years I don't want to start looking for another piece of heaven( there can't be too many left ).

Still I fear the worst but will find out the extent of the damage in 5 weeks and 2 days and counting.

Offline Santa

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - klausmueller95@gmail.com
    • View Profile
Worrying Development
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2008, 08:36:28 AM »

I suggest you all Google- Greek News and read the article by Helena Smith of The Observer titled- "Curse of the Boozy Britons returns to Greek Resorts" Therein lies your problem of places like Malia- Not development-
Santa

Offline Rodger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Worrying Development
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2008, 01:55:01 PM »
I don't want to sound complacent but isn't this just another verse of the same old song?  Plakias and the surrounding areas have been undergoing relentless "development" for over 25 years - in fact the first edition of the Rough Guide to Greece (1982) calls it a "boom town" where buildings under construction seemed to outnumber completed buildings.  It's not obvious to me that this project is any more objectionable than many of the other concrete sprawls that have sprung up over the years, or that it constitutes the tipping point that will turn Plak into Benidorm.  My pet hate is the Hapimag "village" which ruined the western half of Damnoni beach, for example.

There have been many changes since my first visits, when Plak was still a haven for backpackers and independent travellers, but there's still enough left of "my Plakias" to draw me back every few years.  I can still find a pleasant room within 5 minutes of getting off the bus, enjoy a leisurely breakfast at Livicon and chill out in the shade of the tree at the far end, pretty much as I would have done 20 years ago.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2008, 02:23:21 PM »
Quote from: Rodger
I don't want to sound complacent but isn't this just another verse of the same old song?  Plakias and the surrounding areas have been undergoing relentless "development" for over 25 years - in fact the first edition of the Rough Guide to Greece (1982) calls it a "boom town" where buildings under construction seemed to outnumber completed buildings.  It's not obvious to me that this project is any more objectionable than many of the other concrete sprawls that have sprung up over the years, or that it constitutes the tipping point that will turn Plak into Benidorm.  My pet hate is the Hapimag "village" which ruined the western half of Damnoni beach, for example.

There have been many changes since my first visits, when Plak was still a haven for backpackers and independent travellers, but there's still enough left of "my Plakias" to draw me back every few years.  I can still find a pleasant room within 5 minutes of getting off the bus, enjoy a leisurely breakfast at Livicon and chill out in the shade of the tree at the far end, pretty much as I would have done 20 years ago.
Agree with all of that Rodger, including the Hapimag at Damednoni!
Unfortunately, the visual of the finished development is unnerving to say the least, but as you say there is a lot of panic going on, unnecessarily in my opinion.
The finished development will be some time yet, so we all have plenty of time to enjoy 'our place', for some years to come yet, before it makes any impression on the village itself. As I've said before, if you're a far-ender, you can't see it from there anyway, and it's a long way away from the village at night!  

Ignore it, it might even go away!!

george g...

Offline dimitri

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Worrying Development
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2008, 03:03:49 PM »

Ahh yes i remember it well,a small footpath to the beach the turtles still came then.Those were the days,locals still not too jaded to think only of the money.Happy days indeed,Damnoni was beutifull then,how things change.Get used to it!Before you and yours arrived these people had nothing,poverty was very real.Only a generation ago they had nothing but hard work and damm all to show for it.Even now only a handfull of people make the real money and very few of the ordinary locals get rich.The wages are shit the hours long and the season short.You guys fly in and blow more money in a week than most of them make in a month or two.I lived and worked for tradesmans wages when i was there,i earn a lot more here than i could dream of on Crete.Good luck to them they only want what we have,its not an adventure park for tourists its someone else"s home.They dont see what you see,if you were born and live there the tourists are like a shoal of salmon,to be used every year to keep the wolf from the door.
Dont stay in a hotel,rent room is better and cheaper,go to the mountain villages and spend money,help the people who need it.
Dont buy an over priced villa.
Do buy a red pick up truck
Do grow a big moustache
Do wear a black leather jacket

Offline Santa

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - klausmueller95@gmail.com
    • View Profile
Worrying Development
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2008, 03:18:55 PM »
Quote from: dimitri

Ahh yes i remember it well,a small footpath to the beach the turtles still came then.Those were the days,locals still not too jaded to think only of the money.Happy days indeed,Damnoni was beutifull then,how things change.Get used to it!Before you and yours arrived these people had nothing,poverty was very real.Only a generation ago they had nothing but hard work and damm all to show for it.Even now only a handfull of people make the real money and very few of the ordinary locals get rich.The wages are shit the hours long and the season short.You guys fly in and blow more money in a week than most of them make in a month or two.I lived and worked for tradesmans wages when i was there,i earn a lot more here than i could dream of on Crete.Good luck to them they only want what we have,its not an adventure park for tourists its someone else"s home.They dont see what you see,if you were born and live there the tourists are like a shoal of salmon,to be used every year to keep the wolf from the door.
Dont stay in a hotel,rent room is better and cheaper,go to the mountain villages and spend money,help the people who need it.
Do grow a big moustache

Dimitri-
Fantastic- could not have said it better- I have been to Sellia since the early 70's visiting relatives- There is no romance in talking a donkey to the fields in the morning , slaving all day to scratch a living out of the soil- which they first had to clean by hand of all the stones- or getting up at 2 am because it is your turn to change the direction of the water for your fields- Please get real-It may have charm to the tourists, but it is damn hard work and I am glad that they have the opportunity to make their life a little better. All this talk about "ruining " some vision of a plakias is nonsense- And if in the end some don't like it well, as some have suggested, there are other places to go-
Santa

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2008, 03:27:16 PM »
Quote from: Santa

Do grow a big moustache

Dimitri-
Fantastic- could not have said it better- I have been to Sellia since the early 70's visiting relatives- There is no romance in talking a donkey to the fields in the morning , slaving all day to scratch a living out of the soil- which they first had to clean by hand of all the stones- or getting up at 2 am because it is your turn to change the direction of the water for your fields- Please get real-It may have charm to the tourists, but it is damn hard work and I am glad that they have the opportunity to make their life a little better. All this talk about "ruining " some vision of a plakias is nonsense- And if in the end some don't like it well, as some have suggested, there are other places to go-
Santa

I think we all know this guys and what you've written brings some people back to reality. Couldn't have put it better myself!

Thanks!!  

george g...

Offline dimitri

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Worrying Development
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2008, 03:27:38 PM »
Hey santa, if they had to pick olives and work the fields like i used to most of them would be dead in a week.Pruning trees and olive picking i still have to sleep with the lights on sometimes.
George are you stalking me?

Offline Rodger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Worrying Development
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2008, 08:19:03 PM »
Quote from: Santa

Do grow a big moustache

Dimitri-
Santa
Dear oh dear, this is all getting rather silly.

Nobody's saying the Cretans should return to back-breaking subsistence farming.  That doesn't mean we have to be enamoured of massive foreign-owned tourist complexes that probably do little enough to support the local economy.  And I'm not having you telling me "there are other places to go", thanks all the same.