login

Author Topic: Reporting In  (Read 54498 times)

Offline Chris H.

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2007, 03:29:01 PM »
Hi folks!, Kaliespera!
My first post, just been lurking for the past half year to learn as much as possible about Plakias, we are 1 week back now from a 3 weeks holiday (first time), stayed in Olive grove, lovely!!!!! Just about every night a big white owl flew around our terrace, Hedwig? What a great place Plakias is, I must thank you all for all the information you gave me in the months before we left, you all have been a tremendous help, thanks!
Man did we fell in love with Plakias, went to Rhetymnon for a day to give my wife the chance to shop a little, what a horrid place, yuk!, so glad to be back in Plakias that evening.......
Wheather was great, hardly seen a cloud, only that anemos sometimes, what a weird wind, it blew for 6 days 24 hours a day, I don't mind it in the day but like it when it dies down at night so that one can hear the silence all around.....loved the sudden appearance and disappearance of small white clouds though, you look at the sky and there's nothing to see, just blue, 1 minute later there's a cloud and 1 minute later it's gone again, big fun.....
And the people of Plakias, what a pleasant lot, so many examples I could give of their, in our eyes, tremendous behaviour, for example: I go to buy a bracelet for my wife in the jewelry store opposite Christos, the price tag says 55 euros, I hand over my 55 euros to the lady in the store and she says, okay 50 will do, I never experienced anything like that before, I'm supposed to bargain the price down not she! When I made my reservation on the internet for Olive grove in februari my wife says: no downpayment? so I ask Sofia: no downpayment? Sofia says: no need to, I trust you, you pay when you leave and when we arrive at the apartment no one is living there apart from other guests, all the unoccupied rooms and apartments are open with colour tv's on the wall and airco's, after our three weeks we could have just walked out without paying, amazing. (we live in Amsterdam you no!!!) On the very last night it was full moon, the whole bay was like melted silver, soooo romantic....
Sob, sob, whished i sat at Ostraco's right now with a big cold beer and a small plate of sliced carrot with salt and lemonjuice, sob, sob....trying to convince the wife to book an extra week in october, she says we cannot afford it, sob, sob....
Chris H.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2007, 03:42:03 PM »
No surprises there then, another satified customer.  

Glad you and the missus enjoyed it Chris  

george g...

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2007, 05:17:50 PM »
Quote from: Chris H.
Hi folks!, Kaliespera!
My first post, just been lurking for the past half year to learn as much as possible about Plakias, we are 1 week back now from a 3 weeks holiday (first time), stayed in Olive grove, lovely!!!!! Just about every night a big white owl flew around our terrace, Hedwig? What a great place Plakias is..........

Welcome to the forum Chris. Glad you both had a lovely time, we had 3 weeks there last year and it was fantastic. Only 2 weeks this year  

Don't go back to lurking, enjoy the fun! (and maybe help us out and write some articles  )

Paul.

Offline Rowena & Carl

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - rowenabarlow@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.results4u.co.uk
Reporting In
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2007, 04:23:20 PM »
Quote from: Lut Azijn
Hello everyone. We are  back from our first holiday in Plakias. Our oldest daughter visited last summer as well (in fact, she insisted we go there for our hols this year) but for the rest of us it was a first. We stayed at Kostas Chryssoula from 30 June until 14th July. I have not written sooner, because I could not face going on the forum and being reminded that it was all over, whilst many of you are still going out later this year. I must say that we had an absolutely fantastic time. It was hot, but not too hot. It was very windy many days, but it did not bother us that much. There were some days where you could not sit on the main beach, but then around the corner past the harbor, it usually blows less.

The hotel was just fine. They actually put us up at Christina appartments, and they were large. We had a 2 bedroom flat with our 2 youngest children. Our 2 teenage children had a studio flat next to ours. The owner of the supermarket below us was a friendly Englishman. (Forgot his name). Our favourite restaurant was Gio-Ma. We had some wonderful fish there. Other restaurants I would definitely recommend are Tasomanolis, Sirocco and Harakas. The worst meal we had was at Mouses and we did not really enjoy the food a the Panorama restaurant at Mirthios either. They were our only negative experiences though. All the other restaurants we visited were excellent and the food was very cheap indeed ! Our teenagers fell in love with the Ostraco bar and we had quite a few mojitos there ourselves.

The town and the beaches were not crowded at all, although it seemed to be picking up slightly towards the end of the second week. The local youngsters seemed to be happy with the arrival of our kids, because there had been mainly older people until we arrived !

I remember people talking about the German girls who rescue dogs and cats from Crete. Well, we did our bit for animal welfare as well. Some other Belgians staying at our hotel wanted to take a puppy home. It was tied up to an old boat behind the hotel somewhere. It belonged to an Albanian who beat it and did not give it any water and very little food. The family "rescued" it, but did not have the time to arrange for the dog to travel home with them. So they asked us to help. With the help of the German girls who arranged everything very efficiently for us, we took the doggie back to Belgium with us and delivered him to his new owner. He is happy and well and living in Mechelen.

All in all, a great holiday. We will definitely be back some time.

Lut & family

Well done, the more prople who rescue these animals the better, it is the only thing I don't like about Greece is the treatment of animals. We too have rescued a couple of dogs in the past, unfortunately it's very difficult and expensive to bring them back to England otherwise I would of had both but we found them homes for both with very nice people. Just as well really as I think my Dobermann Max would have been very jealous otherwise!!

Rowena
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 04:26:06 PM by Rowena & Carl »

Offline Ali & Dave

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2007, 07:32:17 AM »
Hi Lut and Chris

So pleased to hear from people who have so enjoyed their first stays here.

Lut, really pleased to hear you got the dog back to Belgium with no problems it was a pleasure having you and the family staying above the shop.

Chris, the owl you saw was a Barn Owl, we're not sure if it has a huge territory or there are more as we quite often see it from our apartment down at the end of the bay.

Ali and Dave

Offline Alex&fran G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/groundy
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2007, 09:37:06 AM »
Quote from: Barny
You will know when the horse and carriage is getting near as the horse seems to have a shoe missing and instead of hearing "clip clop clip clop" you wil hear "clip clop clip thump" I think its the offside rear thats gone! And i like the little net under the horses tail for catching the you know what!

Barny.

Yes Barny it was the offside rear,however by my second night he had been repaired back to clip clop clip clop, this was my first time in plakias in the month of August, apparently I picked the Greek annually holiday , also including a religous celebration, I could not believe it the number of people there, I thought I,d gone to Athens, we still enjoyed it very much especially the second week when it was back to normal. we decided to have weekend in Paliochora which again was the wrong week for it we arrived by ferry at 7.15 at 9.45 we were still looking for a room however we found one it must have been the only room in the whole town you can imagine what it was like so the weekend became just the one night we were waiting for the ferry at 8.0 clock the following morning, the actually trip was brilliant I would do it again in our normal June time, we managed to meet George a day before we left it was nice to meet him after talking to him several through the Forum. Our room was as nice as ever at Stella Studios, and Zac as always was waiting at the airport, his new business is doing very well, the good thing about going in August this year is I only have 10 months to my next trip in June.
Regards Alex &fran
MAKE SURE YOUR MEMORIES ARE NEVER GREATER THAN YOUR DREAMS.

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2007, 09:12:44 PM »
Oh well you can't get better than a clip clop fitter!!

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Chris H.

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2007, 07:40:34 PM »
Having problems posting, just testing.....
Chris H.

Offline Chris H.

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2007, 07:46:46 PM »
Ah!, at last it works again, probably just me doing something stupid.....
Ploppy: writing articles on what?
For fun I added a pic of Plakias wildlife, you all know from what position I took that pic don't you?
Chris H.

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2007, 08:19:13 PM »
i recognise those little fellas!!

Offline Chas

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2007, 11:21:14 AM »
Me too ....

.... it was a windy day, so they were sheltering on the lee-side.
Chas

Stupidity is its own reward.

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2007, 01:13:57 PM »
OK not at the far end but here is one....

Offline Rowena & Carl

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - rowenabarlow@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.results4u.co.uk
Reporting In
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2007, 04:10:07 PM »
Quote from: Ploppy
OK not at the far end but here is one....

This ones not shy!

Rowena

[attachment=504:P1010344.JPG]

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2007, 09:06:25 AM »
Nice to see these guys are still around and on Monday evening (03.09) entertaining a dog, he kept chasing them into the sea and the waves kept bringing them back in again. They seem to have adopted the lawn in front of the Alianthos.

When I find my non-holiday head, I'll do a proper report! And NO it is NOT good to be back!!!    

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reporting In
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2007, 11:37:54 AM »
Plakias 2007
Great flight ‘XL’ 05.00am take off, car waiting and got into Plakias around 2.30pm. Checked straight into Flisvos Rooms (see ‘Article System’), and plenty of time to unpack get sorted and go and get a few groceries from Dave and Ali’s.  

Wasn’t very adventurous with the restaurants this year, stuck to Medusa, Harakas and Lysseous, they were all magical as always and one disaster in the Platia in Myrthios. Had the Red Lamb, it was awful.
But the Lemon Sole with Lemon Sauce in Harakas was a dream, thoroughly recommended.

Usual bars, Antoni’s and the Levicon and a few others, Glaros, Ostraco and the Lamon etc during the day whenever the need arose. The warm welcome was much appreciated.

Met so many people, Roger of course was in the Levicon and the Lysseous most evenings, nice to see you again Roger!
Alec and Fran, it was a delight to meet you, only sorry you had to go the following day.
Penny and Peter from Germany, who had been reading the site and came over to introduce themselves, lovely people and GET REGISTERED guys we need you, Peter recons he’s been to Plakias around 35 times, sometimes 3 or 4 times a year. Sorry I didn’t get the chance to say goodbye. Get in touch!!
Ann and Steve (aka Sunshine Girl) tapped me on the shoulder to introduce themselves. Great to meet you both, and Ann, ‘Sunshine Girl’ suits you.

Overall it was a great year, and having Pete and Co. in the room next door, it was great to share some of my favourite things, sorry about the roads girls!

Windy for a few days, then it dropped down to breeze, then it stopped completely for about two days, 35 degrees plus every gay, but the dark clouds were just rolling over the Dragon on my last day.

It was very quiet though, surprisingly so, we had a few busy days probably when the local holidays were happening, but the Restaurants and the Levicon in the evenings were generally very quiet and I hate to admit it but I sort of missed the ‘SL’s’, but Dionysis said, that he was looking forward to them coming back, his eyes were raised to the ceiling when he said it though!

Independence is here to stay, loved it, and will do it again, and next year seriously thinking about 3 weeks instead of 2.

Post Plakias Blues are here again...

george g...

Quick addition, I mentioned to Freddie on the beach how much I'd paid for the car, and he moaned at me for not using a Plakias based company, and I told him they were all too expensive, so he said go and see Antonios at Monza. So I did and got a hyperthetical quote for exacly the same deal for next year. It was 50 euros more than I paid this year which is still 200 euros cheaper than the next best quote I had for this year. So guess who I'm going to use next year?

g g...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 12:17:26 PM by George »