login

Author Topic: Worrying Development  (Read 90710 times)

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 04:40:18 PM »
Sorry Guys, a bit more info for you:

http://www.plakiasresort.com/

george g...

Offline Butties

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 06:49:48 PM »
Quote from: George

george g...

Hell Bells, don't know what to say, really quite shocked!!

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 11:24:54 PM »
bugger, i swear they've used one of my pics from the top of timos stavros in that slide show as well!!

Offline Peter&Dawn

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2007, 07:33:08 AM »
Quote from: George

george g...

I see that the contact details are in the UK at Broadheath, Altrincham.
I have e-mailed them for information about timescales.
When I know more I will post it on the board.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2007, 08:20:20 AM »
Quote from: Tony and Sandra Smith
So George you are a potential buyer are you?
I think I've stated before on this site, and Harribobs will back me up that this development as the Panorama development at the top of the hill would be the last place on earth that I would buy into, it's horrendous, it's 'Eldorado'   .
Perhaps when the potential buyers realise that the airport is 2 hours away, and not 5klm, they'll think twice!  

george g...

Offline Chris H.

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2007, 03:47:04 PM »
Hahaha, ROFL, Rofl......

Guess what, I mailed them for info and pricelist and this is what they state at the bottom of the pricelist:

'FOR EVERY BUYER 2 MOUNTAIN BIKES WILL BE OFFERED FREE OF GHARGE'

Wow! big deal, all the apartments will be sold real quick this way

Offline jenny

• View Profile
Worrying Development
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2007, 06:08:59 PM »
Going to Plakias tonight with a few mixed feelings.

We will walk past the building site twice a day for the next 7 days and will bring back whatever info we can find out.

Deep sigh.
Jenny

Naturist and Hell's Grandma

Offline Butties

• View Profile
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2007, 06:17:16 PM »
Quote from: Chris H.
Hahaha, ROFL, Rofl......

Guess what, I mailed them for info and pricelist and this is what they state at the bottom of the pricelist:

Maybe the mountain bikes are to help with the airport transfer?
Really though, I know we should try to see what is best for the future of Plakias and its residents, but those artists impressions looked terrible, reminded me of several areas of Cyprus that I have seen 'developed', uniform, featureless seas of concrete.
And I'll be honest, I would be very sorry to see Plakias go down that route.

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.compage.com
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2007, 10:05:02 AM »
It was inevitable that this would happen.
After all, why would Plakias be any different from all the other good places to go to on holiday?

We should be thankful that it didn't happen sooner.
Since our first visit in 1991 we have seen Plakias develop from being slightly less than perfect through being virtually perfect and now it is less than perfect again.
It is all downhill from here.

We shouldn't complain too much.
After all, those of us who have used this forum to sing the praises of Plakias for the last few years must bear some of the responsibility for the popularity of Plakias.
With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight and given my time over again I would be telling the world how bad it is in Plakias.
John Page

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »
If this happens it will really spoil Plakias and probably put paid to the "far end". Let's hope it doesn't happen or in reduced form. I think Plakias has changed more in the years I have known it than my other favourite resorts and that saddens me. Maybe as Compage has said this forum is partly to blame.

Mike

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2007, 11:05:19 PM »
The first time I came to Plakias I hadn't much idea of what the place was going to be like. I saw the photograph in the brochure showing the beach, which was almost empty and there was almost an empty space behind it from the Alianthos to the far end. I speculated that this was an old photograph they had, to make it more appealing, and that there would be a string of large hotels behind the beach, or hotels under construction. Thankfully, apart from one small block opposite the Alianthos, the photograph was true to life and, apart from the umbrellas and the surfaced road, it is largely like that today. So we can be thankful that development has not come faster than it has.

Like everyone else, I don't welcome this development as it will change the place. However, seeing the website and knowing what has happened in other parts of Greece, I don't think it should be all gloom and doom for far-enders because of the following:

1. The far end is backed by sand dunes, so it can't be seen from the road or any development behind it.
2. The development doesn't look to be directly behind the far end, it looks to be a bit nearer to the village.
3. It is not an hotel, it is private houses. So I would have thought that some would be second homes and so not occupied all the time. And if people are living there permanently, they are unlikely to want to go to the beach as often as people on holiday. (I realise that some, however, but not all, will be bought as investments and let off to tourists for holidays). Also, there appears to be a large pool in the middle of the development, which will lessen the number of people that want to go to the beach.
4. Where I have seen new developments behind clothing-optional beaches in other parts of Greece, it is only the part of the beach directly in front of the development that has been affected.
5. The far end is one of the few places that I know where almost everyone is nude and I think the number of nudists is increasing. In most other places I go, nudists are often in the minority and in decreasing numbers, therefore more likely to be overun.
6. There is always Mikro Ammoudhi, amongst others in the vicinity.

Plakias will always have a certain attraction to it. There was one year (about 1997 I think) when I decided that Plakias wasn't for me because of the way it had developed (That was the first year of the train, first time umbrellas had appeared on Micro Ammoudhi and the year that the 'road' was built around the headland from Damnoni to Mikro Ammoudhi). So I stopped going to Plakias, then after a 5 year gap (partly due to stumbling across this bulletin board and reading it) I went back and have been back twice since.

Greecemad
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 11:17:44 PM by Greecemad »

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.compage.com
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2007, 02:47:30 PM »
Quote from: Greecemad
1. The far end is backed by sand dunes, so it can't be seen from the road or any development behind it.
The land rises rapidly beyond the Paligremnos, at least as high as the sand dunes.
If you walk from any part of that road towards the sea, you do not have to go uphill to cross the dunes.

There is currently no development close to the road beyond Paligremnos until you get to the Plakias Bay Hotel at the end of the road.
However, one day in late September this year, early one morning, I watched a man working in that area with a theodolite..
He was on the beach side of the road with his instrument and it was aimed across the road.
I could not see his assistant with a striped pole but assume he was out of my view behind trees.

2. The development doesn't look to be directly behind the far end, it looks to be a bit nearer to the village.
On the landward side of the road, from the Paligremnos going towards the village there is the Paligremnos car park, a childrens playground, a little spare land, the small road going up towards the main road which it joins at the top of the hill and then there is the land for the development along with its current stack of pipes ready for installation.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 02:54:14 PM by compage »
John Page

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2007, 08:54:14 AM »
Quote from: Chris H.
Hahaha, ROFL, Rofl......

I spoke to a guy from 'Bulgarian...' and he told me exactly the same thing Chris, and I said to him that he must be kidding, although he did say that that was not confirmed. I might be having second thoughts now, I haven't got a mountain bike...  

george g...

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2007, 01:14:30 PM »
What's   ROFL?
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Worrying Development
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2007, 01:25:58 PM »
I don't think it should be all gloom and doom for far-enders because of the following:

3. It is not an hotel, it is private houses. So I would have thought that some would be second homes and so not occupied all the time. And if people are living there permanently, they are unlikely to want to go to the beach as often as people on holiday. (I realise that some, however, but not all, will be bought as investments and let off to tourists for holidays). Also, there appears to be a large pool in the middle of the development, which will lessen the number of people that want to go to the beach.
4. Where I have seen new developments behind clothing-optional beaches in other parts of Greece, it is only the part of the beach directly in front of the development that has been affected.
5. The far end is one of the few places that I know where almost everyone is nude and I think the number of nudists is increasing. In most other places I go, nudists are often in the minority and in decreasing numbers, therefore more likely to be overun.
6. There is always Mikro Ammoudhi, amongst others in the vicinity.

Greecemad

I hope you are right Greecemad. I just remember what happened in Skala, Kefalonia, in 2002 (see Captain Barefoot). Apparently the lack of a "far end" beach now means many travellers no longer go there.

Mike