Author Topic: A blast from the past!  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Loops

• View Profile
    • Email
A blast from the past!
« on: July 03, 2003, 04:02:50 PM »
It was interesting to find this website, as I went to Plakias on holiday in 1995 and it's still one of our most talked about holidays!  I went with my boyfriend and another couple, for 2 weeks - I remember that it was the last week of September, first week of October (because myself and other half both celebrated our birthdays out there).

I'm not sure if it's still like that, but it was really quiet at that time of year.  We practically had the place to ourselves.  We went to the Meltima (I think it was called) nightclub and we were the only ones in there one night, and another night we dragged this bunch of middle aged American people with us too - I'm not sure if they knew who The Prodigy were, but they had a good dance to them  

I can't really remember the names of the bars, but there was one which had a balcony and you could sit upstairs or downstairs (is that the Ostraco bar?), and there was another one which seemed to get alot of German people in (maybe the owner was German, I'm not sure), they played good music in there.  

We stayed at the Apollo, which was OK, quiet, clean, just up the road from the beach etc.  We had loads of nice meals and must have tried out most of the places around there.  One of the best things I remember is trying out my Greek on the owner of a leather shop - he was really pleased that I was trying to speak Greek and immediately produced a bottle of Raki from under the counter and 5 glasses.  We were all there, trying to choke back the Raki, so we wouldn't offend him, and when we'd managed to get it down us and thought we were off the hook, he filled up the glasses again  

We had a great time, it rained a few times, but that was OK because there was something quite cozy about sitting under the canopy of a bar, with a beer, with the rain lashing down all around!  

So, thanks for letting me use this site to waffle on about an ancient holiday I had, but it really was great!  

Offline Ken & Kathy

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
A blast from the past!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2003, 11:18:01 AM »
Hi Loops,welcome to the site,I am sure it did bring back memories.Why not rekindle them and pay another visit,you will find very little has changed over the years,one or two more visitors,but the great welcome from the locals is the same,
Come back shut your eyes and you will be right back to 1995.